Living with gout. Who has it?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by ethos, Apr 7, 2016.

1. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    So I'm currently suffering a gout attack. Not the worst, I would rate it a 7 on the scale. Right big toe. I had my first case of gout back in 2013. I was with Schneider and woke up in my sleeper and my middle toe was killing me. I figured I had got it in some weird position while I slept. That one was bad but it was just that one toe so it was bearable. Few months later I had the worst one ever. Started out in the same toe and seemed to move around every day. It moved to my big toe, then my ankle. Took a week and that one was a 10. I remember stopping at that Pilot in Meridian. I tried to make it to the store and I couldn't. I just sat down and recovered. That one was incredibly painful. Seriously the most pain I've ever had in my life. Even a sheet on it hurt. Couldn't sleep etc.

My last attack was in mid July. Since the bad one they have all been in my big toe. I know since I don't get them all the time I won't be put on medicine. Does anyone have any remedies that actually work? I just want to be able to walk normally and hopefully speed up the recovery. Since the bad one they only last about 3 or 4 days. But man...it's a loonnnggg 3 days.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Lay off the pork.
    Colchicine is the only medication that works for me. Need a prescription though. I stock up on it when I'm overseas because it's cheap and don't need a prescription. That doesn't help you though.
    Try a walkin clinic and get some Colchicine; it works. Keep it handy and the first sign of toe pain, pop a pill and you'll be ok.

4. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    A change of diet helped mine.

Only enjoy beef once a month now.

or take medications, like allpurinol..........

5. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    I do eat steak a lot. I don't want to give that up. C'mon China isn't there some ancient Chinese remedy?

6. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    I also used to enjoy steak quite often.

I hate medications,

so I had no other choice.........

7. Cowtipper

Cowtipper Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2015
    A good friend of mine has it in both knees and one wrist. They tried to put him on Alpurinol but it made him too sick to drive. The next time I talk to him, I'll ask him what he did to reduce his attacks, I know he hasn't complained about having it for a while.

ethos Thanks this.
  8. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Love the avatar!

Cowtipper Thanks this.
  9. JMurphy1

JMurphy1 Light Load Member

May 3, 2015
    CT
    When I suffered from gout, many years ago, it was because I drank too much lager-style beer, i.e.: Budweiser. I gave up that and began sampling, and becoming a big craft-beer style drinker, i.e.: ales, stouts, porters, etc. Anyway, a remedy that truly works and does not come in a bottle that makes the drug-companies even richer.... Cherries!! That's right cherries, found in your local grocery store. Google gout and remedies and you will find this fruit is listed as a healthy alternative to drugs! Check it out and good luck, that is some seriously painful stuff!

ethos and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    My dad has gotten a mild to severe case of this twice now. Urgent care and medication takes care of it temporarily after a week of hurt, but if the diet doesn't change or excercising doesn't happen, he'll get it again. Less red meats and salt.

11. Klleetrucking

Klleetrucking Medium Load Member

Dec 11, 2010
    S.C.
    What a coincidence, I'm 10 days downstream from the most severe attack I've ever had. Both feet and knees. Fortunately I was at home, I was on crutches for about a week. Mine I believe was caused by a high protein/low carb diet I went on to lose weight plus I had shoulder surgery. Two things that are believed to cause gout.

I've done a ton of research and the previous posters are pretty much on target about ones diet causing gout.
    There is some contradictions on some foods that cause gout but red meat, organ meats (liver), shellfish, gravy and basically any rich foods are on the BAD list.
    For me no OTC meds helped, I had to get a script for Prednisone plus I dropped the weight loss diet and went strict "no gout" foods. Took me about two weeks to recover.

It's a pita, but I googled about everything before I ate it and believe me just about everything is there, some good, some bad. Drink lots and lots of water to help flush your system of the uric acid. If you can, go "gout friendly" until you recover completely then you can experiment with the triggers.
    You have my utmost sympathy and BOL.

HoundDog7, G13Tomcat and 123456 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.