Load boards for individuals? Uship is now a joke...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by bviper, Jan 21, 2014.

1. bviper

bviper Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2013
    After looking at some of the low haul rates that truckers bite on every day that barely cover fuel, I kind of wonder why I am being frowned on for trying to get an honest bid instead of an ankle grab? You guys know as well as I do you quote people round trip, then immediately upon delivery shop for a "return haul" if you are going that way. I am trying to work together with someone so everyone does better. An unloaded truck is expensive.

Excuse the h3ll out of me for putting a load on Uship when I had no where else to post it. I have had some good hauls there back in the day from pro truckers and been burned by brokers. I DO NOT like brokers.

I am not looking to stiff someone for fuel only. However, I simply CANNOT AFFORD to pay for someone's Christmas right now. I got in a jam and trying to get out.

Consider this, I am considering fair to be about double what fuels costs one way. Is that out of line? I am also calculating at 5mpg which most of you guys do better. I am also estimating fuel at $4/gal which it is less. but...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    So you're saying the driver's wage, benefits, taxes, insurance, permits, cost of truck purchase/replacement, & cost of truck maintenance -- should all be an amount less than or equal to the price of fuel? For a full truckload?

4. BigJls1

BigJls1 Medium Load Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Hes not that far off.....5 mpg at $4 gallon is .80 cents a mile. So he starting at 1.60. Northwest to the Midwest is not a great paying lane. If it didn't tarp and wasn't heavy I'd look into it.

I can make good money going up there.

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    What makes you think someone is trying to get rich charging a fair market rate? The way I look at it if the freight goes to an unknown market or known deadzone, there just are no guarantee's in this business, you pay my guarantee or you can sit there fretting because you can't find a truck. It's no wonder you can't find someone to chain down a flatbed load for $800 on 500 miles. That's a poor "backhaul" rate I wouldn't bother to slam doors on it. And for every 10 people like you there's someone who's serious about getting their freight moving.

BeN DaViS and barnmonkey Thank this.
  6. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    I don't know about that. I find ifI am delivering anything under 400 miles from our yard then I am better off deadheading my truck back to the yard and picking up another outbound load. My definition of expensive is sending a truck on a two day wild goose chase for $1.60/loaded mile. If my truck is hauling that cheap freight, where will I get another truck to haul my stuff? I will have to buy another truck and trailer and find another driver. Naww. don't think so. For $1.60 I will pass it up and DH back because you're right....I am getting round trip money. Why? Because they were serious about getting their stuff on time and they didn't want to wait a week or two for some desperate guy with a broken down truck to come along and move it for free.

I figure my cost at $1.65/mile so I would be moving your load for free and I'd be going backwards when I figured in deadhead to PU and from DEL. $1.65 doesn't get it done on a regular basis. You might move the odd load for that. Depends onm how much freight you have to get moved. The desperate one always loses.

7. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    He will get it moved for that. Already have posters above saying they will move it. The cheap rate is Possibly why none of the local companies will move it for him. Normally the local trucks are all over a good shipper.

8. bviper

bviper Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2013
    And....This is why I am trying to spot a return haul for a trucker. You guys are calculating on a round trip! I can't see how it would better benefit you to deadhead back home rather than take a paying load.

9. BigJls1

BigJls1 Medium Load Member

Dec 25, 2012
    so whats the product?

where is it at? and destination?

there is a huge rate difference from seattle area verse kalispell area

10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Because...in my case at least.....my trucks are already busy enough with outbound freight. If I mess around with back hauls then I put myself into a capacity crunch and possibly cause me to buy another truck....not going to buy another truck to move sporadic $1.60 freight below my cost. In my case, back hauls need to pay very well in order for them to be worth my time.

MC had it right when he said the local trucks would be all over a good paying shipper.

11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I don't calculate on a round trip but awfully close to it. You have to pay rates like that to dead areas. This is why none of the locals will touch your freight. You don't understand running a truck. Empty miles = less wear and tear, better fuel mileage, less time wasted working for something that doesn't even make wages. A person can go just as broke working for break even or worse as driving on past it for something better paying. If I have a choice between your load paying $800 on 500 loaded miles with 0 miles deadhead or deadhead 200 miles for one going 300 loaded miles for the same money your load will sit on the docks. Local trucks don't backhaul away from home. Backhaulers will never be consistent and always look for more money. Cheaping out has you in a bind. Obviously wherever your product goes other freight going there pays better.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.