Load Straps, Chain/Straps. Chains. What type/size to buy

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by UltraZero, Mar 6, 2014.

1. UltraZero

UltraZero Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Good day folks. I was doing research for equipment to put on my truck.

I currently have standard 30' straps, 5/16 chains, chain binders.

I think these load securement devices are ok. for lite weight loads, but, not great for heavy loads.

Can work for heavy loads, but based on working load limits, I will need alot to secure heavy equipment.

What are your thoughts.

Should I consider 1/2" chain, 1/2" binders, heavy duty straps above 5400 lbs ??

Do any of you folks have longer straps then 30"

What about load tarps?? Where to buy GOOD tarps.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dhooks

dhooks Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    What do you haul, thats fine for just about all general freight.

4. UltraZero

Jul 18, 2013
    Well, currently, general freight, containers, equipment. Looking forward to down the road, when I need to haul heavier equipment. Large earth movers, Farm Equipment, etc. Then I hope to get into heavier items. I don't really want to waste money buying things for now, and later have to re buy equipment. I'm sure I should purchase new equipment after usage after time.

5. dhooks

dhooks Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    I prefer 3/8s for flat bed and 6 axle step and rgn, but 5/16s really is,ok

6. UltraZero

Jul 18, 2013
    Good to hear. I was looking at 1/2 chain. The extra weight is an additional 500lbs to 1,000 lbs on the truck for the chains I would carry.

7. HighCountry

HighCountry Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Stephenville, Texas
    Depends entirely in the weight of what your hauling. 5/16 are good for tying down dunnage/tarps. Small pieces. You have to do the math with our chain ratings and weight of load. Be very careful with this!!! For your own safety, and You will be checked. Me jus 3wks ago in Ok. Very through, checked rating on hooks, chains and stretch links. All good
    my 2cents....start out all g-7's, 6-20' 3/8...6-10' 3/8...6-4" straps w/ratchets.
    about 15 3/8 ratchet binders you'll need the extras. I avoid snap binders, seen to many friends get hurt w them.
    NEVER EVER!!!! Skimp on safety...and you'll make it thru the learning curve..
    tarps?? Aren't those some kind of fish?
    good luck.

8. UltraZero

Jul 18, 2013
    I don't like tarping as well.

I was thinking of 1/2 chains, binders, 6600lb tie straps. I don't want any securement issues with the DOT. I like to keep them on my side. LOL..

Sounds good to me. on the quantity. What about straps with hooks??

9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    If you're not pulling an RGN or a heavy duty stepdeck with 10000WLL D Rings, there's really no point in buying 1/2 inch chain. Most flats and steps have a 6000-6600 lb WLL rating on their rings, spools and pockets. What's the point in carry around big chain when you will still need the same number of securement points as 3/8 chains?

10. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    When I was still driving I used to use 1/2 and 3/8 lifting grade on the oversize/weight loads we did.
    On our general cargo flats we use 3/8 chain and binders as we do on our heavy haul units but on the heavy haul units these are of lifting grade.
    The difference in price is about 400% but no point in using this on general type trailers as stated before the limited rating of the lashing points render the extra on rating on the chains pointless.

11. UltraZero

Jul 18, 2013
    Hmm. So, grade 80 /grade 100 chain is more like what you are talking about?????

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.