Load zoned road

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Bdog, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Any there any requirements for signage on a load zoned road? There is a narrow rural two lane road by my house that is about two miles long. No intersections in this two mile strech. The road is flat as can be with no culverts, bridges, etc. and connects two larger roads running perpendicular to it on each end. If you approach it from the south there are no signs mentioning anything about any weight restrictions. I have lived here six years and have never seen a sign when coming from the south. If you come from the north though once you are about 1/4 mile down the road there is a 58k max gross sign.

Is this legit? There is no way to turn around once you see the sign. Do they expect you to back up 1/4 mile into a fairly busy intersection if you are over 58k and see the sign?

What if you were coming from the south? how would you even know? I drive this road both ways every day is the only reason I know it is there but I can't see any reason for it. I drive my truck down it all the time. It is about the only way to get to my place without going about 9 miles out of the way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. javelinjeff

javelinjeff Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2007
    victorville,ca
    Sounds like Texas

teqntexas Thanks this.
  4. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Maybe only the southbound lanes are restricted. JK.

It should be signed in all directions, but sadly ignorance of the law means nothing to enforcement personnel.

They deem you a professional and expect you to know exactly where you're at at all times and that routes limitations.

I don't like it either.

5. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Manitoba likes to put signs 1/4 mile down the road also.
    Saskatchewan pretty much does not use any signs at all. The driver is expected to know where they can and can't go in every town or county.

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Ive seen a few streets like that lately. Sign on one end and nothing on the other end.

7. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    So what does it mean? These are small roads. They are not listed in any atlas nor do I know of any way of knowing they are load zoned other than seeing the sign. I sure don't think it is published anywhere.

If one was traveling north bound on a road that only had a sign stating load zoned on the north end for southbound traffic could you receive a ticket for it? Maybe I should rephrase that. I know a cop can write you a ticket for whatever he feels like but would a ticket in that scenario hold up in court?

I know ignorance of the law is no excuse but something like this would be like driving down the highway at 65 mph with a 65 mph speed limit and getting a ticket and them telling you "well we changed the speed limit to 55 but there is no sign" How can one be expected to know?

8. teqntexas

teqntexas Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Ft. Worth Tx.
    Texas is famous for this. Esp on FM roads (Farm to Market) roads. btw, don't trust your rand mcnally gps on Texas FM roads. seems the gps only routes in segments. so it will typically see that first 1/4 mile with no weight restriction and route you down that road until you get on it then it will start screaming,beeping, smoking etc and your stuck looking for a way out.

9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    maybe used to be a sign on the other end and was knocked down possibly ? And never replaced. I've always wondered why some roads are "posted". Perfectly good roads, plenty wide etc. Possibly the mayor lives there and doesn't want those big ol' nasty trucks on his street !

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  10. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    That is a possibility but this road is right beside my house. I drive down it several times a day and have lived here 6 years. There has only been 1 sign as long as I have lived here. If there was two the other one vanished over 6 years ago and has never been replaced.

11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    If you can get away with it just take the sign down some night and lose it.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.