Loaded crude parking

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Texasmiss, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Texasmiss

Texasmiss Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Hi
    Hopefully someone can answer this.... please.
    We park our trucks at the truck stop and if I bring a load of crude in and the slip seat driver doesn't show that load sits until someone delivers it. Has been up to 3 days before.
    I know that the truck is supposed to be attended. If I go off duty (out of hours ) and anything happens with that load ie: tank leaks, someone opens valve, etc. Do I have any responsibility if I have told dispatch, and supervisor and was told, "it's ok don't worry about it".
    The BOL is in the drivers door with my name on it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
  4. Stubby T Slapnutt

Stubby T Slapnutt Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2012
    You can't leave it unattended like that unless it is locked in a secure facility.

gdyupgal, rabbiporkchop and Texasmiss Thank this.
  5. Texasmiss

Texasmiss Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2015
    They are not taking this seriously and all I know to do is call safety. I can't control if there is someone to take over for me. When I pick it up the load I'm not aware as to what will happen with it when I'm out of hours. I hate being put in this position and it's not happening again.

gdyupgal Thanks this.
  6. Mad Frenchman

Mad Frenchman Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Texas
    You can not leave hazmat unattended. simple like stubby said !

I would call your safety people, and DOT regulation.
    if the company don't give a crap, i would suggest changing -

or well .. anonymous call to mister trooper... and report a major violation. ( a loaded truck in the wrong hands is not what we need around...)

dog-c and Texasmiss Thank this.
  7. Texasmiss

Texasmiss Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Thanks everyone,
    I talked to the supervisor about this. He wasn't aware that this was happening, or claims this (i really don't know). He agreed this can not be. I have one other driver on board with me, that from now on we will not leave until they get someone to replace us. Dispatch was angry when he told them that he was staying with the load until another driver came in, and gave him crap about it. But a couple of the drivers said they don't care and i noticed two trucks sitting loaded. What this means is dispatch is continuing to do this and the drivers that don't give a $ h!+ will now get more work. This is another thing I have been witnessed for years, (drivers not supporting each other and using situations such as this to step on another and get in favor with dispatch)
    This of course makes things more unsafe for everyone, and those of us that won't "leave our post" are then labeled as trouble makers.
    With everyone cutting back and major firings and layoffs I'm now wishing I had approached this more anonymously. When I say something again to the supervisor he will know I looked at the other trucks left and I'm not sure how this will be viewed.
    It's desturbing to be put on this position.
    I'm a up front person and would rather just be straight up about this whole thing and tell them what is happening now and that I will report it to safety.
    We have had it drilled in our head over and over to report and stop unsafe acts, if this is just lip service then they will have to confront this. All it takes is one small problem and the results of this could be catastrophic. I witnessed a box van that apparently had a pallet of something that was shouldering and the fire department was out. They had moved the van in a field next door to take care of this. This proves my point though.
    I know probably all of you go through something similar as not wanting to be the squeaky wheel and working with unprofessional that help lower the standards for all and at our expense too. We really need (even more so in the bad times) to become less selfish and stay out of survivor mode mentality and stick together.

8. Mad Frenchman

Mad Frenchman Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Texas
    if they give you crap for not wanting to violate § 397.5 of FMCSA , I would raise hell next to the autorities.
    cover your butt , keep proof like screen capture or whatnot - (ie do you really ask me to break the law ? ) and ask to speak to one of the dispatch supervisor to confirm...
    Go above your supervisor... if they retaliate. i m pretty sure you are covered by some kind of whistleblower plan, granted that like you said you will be labelled as the black sheep.

gdyupgal and dog-c Thank this.
  9. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    You did the right thing. If your company favors those that don't, refresh that resume and start sending to better companies.

gdyupgal, seabring and dog-c Thank this.
  10. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Psst...forget the stupid carrier, tell the pumper where you load. The owner doesn't get paid until it's received, graded and counted. 180 bbls x 45= $8100 gross. I promise you the lease owner cares.

Good luck

RockinChair, dog-c and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    If they make you run legal you shouldn't have picked up the load if you knew that you were unable to deliver the load.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.