Local Hazmat ----hiring at $15/hr?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tman78, Aug 29, 2016.

1. tman78

tman78 Medium Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Hi Friends,

I just called Prodrivers in Ft. Lauderdale for a local job and they have one in the Port (no touch) that pays $15/hr.

???

I called Prodrivers and they said, that's typical for what an AGENCY will pay....BUT isn't this way low for someone with HAZMAT Cert?

Opinions / Thoughts ?

Thanks

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roadranger550

roadranger550 Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2016
    I wouldn't touch HAZMAT for less then $25.00 per hour, but I started out hauling gasoline at 18
    years of age, long before there even _WAS_ a Hazmat Class, and Way Loooooonger then before
    the TSA forced Hazmat drivers to get live-scanned and an FBI background check post 9/11/01.

Yeah, $15 bucks per hour to placard the rig, stop at R/R crossings and have a load of stuff that can kill me real easy? Not. Going. To. Happen. They can go pound sand, driver, but its your call, of course.

You should be able to get any non-Hazmat job that pays better then that wherever you live. This is just one more reason to find a non-trucking job. Hazmat USED to pay better, but not anymore.

DTP, sevenmph, rabbiporkchop and 3 others Thank this.
  4. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    It depends on how much hazmat you're hauling. Are we talking tankers, or something like an LTL position? You can have an entire trailer of general freight on a trailer, and if you're carrying a single case of matches or butane for lighters, you're carrying hazmat. Very common in LTL.

5. tman78

tman78 Medium Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    I hear you...but its easier said than done. Don't know the details but apparently because of this area (s.fla), they were actually interviewing someone already for that job. ALSO, the lady who answered then phone when i called said "its on the low scale because they are an agency" (so the agency probably shaves $5-10/hr into their pocket).

(sigh)

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    It all depends upon the cost of living in the area. Some places, you can live like a king on $15/hr. Other places, you couldn't afford a cardboard box under the bridge for that.

ethos Thanks this.
  7. Singlescrew

Singlescrew Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Twin Cities
    If you need a job go for it. But I'd also keep looking as that's pretty low pay for a driving job. I do ltl and started out several dollars more than that years ago.

8. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Had it happen to me here in Southern California, lady on the phone said $15 an hour to haul fuel. I laughed and said I can't belive you get guys to say yes to that. Her response, "well there is lots of OT" click. Next gig $24.52 to start now we are talking.

GenericUserName Thanks this.
  9. LindaPV

LindaPV Medium Load Member

Temp agencies normally Bill 1.7 x the pay rate. The work comp is probably high. They are offering what they think the market will bear, but you can negotiate.

Toomanybikes and Newfrontiers Thank this.
  10. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Its shameful that they would offer $15. I was doing construction 25 years ago for $15 an hour.

11. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    $15 an hour does seem low. I would imagine cost of living dictates payrate.

Around my area, temp services pay around $19-23 an hour. But cost of living in Jersey is ridiculously high though.

LindaPV and Newfrontiers Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.