Log book not needed for local?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by clayshot, Mar 13, 2014.

1. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    We never ran log book unless we went over 100 air miles or worked for more than 12 hours. Condo Cruiser has it right on the #7 post. I would recommend getting the little green handbook from the FMCSR and study up on the hours driven. Even when we had a load that went more that the short mile or hours required we would show on that day that the past so many days were local and then run the log from there like OTR. Now this was some time ago and I know certain things have changed but read up on the regulations to get it right. You do not want more paperwork work than what is needed because that gives the inspector more to look at.

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    You know, it's a real pain in the backside when you start at 5pm everyday and work under the 100 mile rule, but have that one long day. Now you gotta reconstruct everything from the previous day. I ran into this a while back. Had a run that was over the 100 miles, left out Tuesday night, started at 6pm, finished at 6am. Got pulled into scale, asked for logbook. Explain that I run local, under the 100 mile rule, but today is a long one. Showed him the log sheet for Tuesday, which I showed line 4 from midnight until 6am, as I was working. Off duty from 6am to 6pm, and then logged as it happened from there.

Cop told me I need to actually reconstruct it as it was, showing driving time, even though I had 12 hours off between shifts. Fortunately I only got a verbal warning on that.

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  4. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I don't quite understand what you're saying here. But I would just write a log the day before and say all run under 100 miles. Then run the legal log. Don't forget the company has to have all the time sheets when you can in and left. We did that all the time when we got the AZ run in the middle of the week. Say like on wed, we'd show mon,tues, as 100 mile runs then log out wed as we ran it.

5. iamfargo

iamfargo Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2019
    When you put local what else do you put as far as like for example I run a end dump so do I just wtite on duty all day or stay on drive how would I fill a log book out of I was a local end dump driver ?

6. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    Line 1 and line 4 (off duty and on duty) are all you need if you want to run a book. I would flag your start and stop with the town name.

7. iamfargo

iamfargo Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2019
  8. Andyboy24

Andyboy24 Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Do you need to fill out a logbook if you are in a commercial truck that is working within the 100 air mile zone but works exactly 12 hours? I always read as long as you return to hub with in 12 hours. But i have a lot of guys working exactly 12 hours. I never see in the comments or rules that state "if you work 12 hours or more" it just says over 12 hours.

9. Andyboy24

Andyboy24 Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2020
    We our a utility construction company and most of our work is within the 100 mile zone. however our guys to drive from job to job in the same town multiple times a day. Do they have to change duty status every time they drive from one job to the other even if its only a few miles down the road??

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The actual wording is "released from work within 12 consecutive hours;"
    So working from, for example, 10am to 10pm is fine. Working from 10am to 10:05 pm would need a graph log to be legal.

11. Andyboy24

Andyboy24 Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Ok so if they work from 7 am to 7 pm. They are good with no log book. I have been making the guys fill out log books if the work 12 hours or more. Which the guy do work exactly 12 hours quite a bit. So i can tell them they are good unless they work more than 12 hours? Thank you very much!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.