Log Off Duty Driving Home Empty

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by J.R., Oct 18, 2013.

1. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Very true.

Although I'm not sure how it worked at roehl but I was told unplugging the device's power supply would send a distress message to the main hub or whatever you call it at roehl. Similar to pressing the red button incase you're in an accident and can't move or something. I don't know how true it is, I've unplugged it.... For reboot reasons of course..... And never had anyone question me about it.

Though the system that we use at my current company is completely different.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    That's for the old school devices, the new ones everything is in the dash, they run off of cell towers now.

Meltom and DrtyDiesel Thank this.
  4. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    There is always a way to disable someting, you just need to be aware of how complicated, unintended consequences and potential reprecussions.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Being an O/O under someone else's authority is different than being an O/O with one.

That said, it is open to interpretation - knowing one person who tried it and having Ohio put them into a 34 hour reset because they were beyond 70 hours when they tried it. His claim was using the FMCSA info that he was trying to get to a hotel but the hotel was 350 miles away from his drop.

6. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    Did you log the day as off duty marking your actual starting and stopping times and cities or did you just run a line as off duty for 24 hours like you do on a day off?

I'm assuming you did not count any of those hours against your 70 and you could run more then your 11/14?

7. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    After I got empty (showed 15min) then drew a line up to off duty and wrote "personal conveyance to ######### Ia. I drove until I got tired, got up the next morning and drove until I got home.

Cetane+ and MJ1657 Thank this.
  8. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    I woulda done the same

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i would think, that if your empty. and no reload plans. you should be allowed to do whatever you need or want to do.

after all. your off duty now. specially if it's the weekend. or whatever the case may be.

like i said, it's your house, your car, basically your motorhome. i don't think the gooberment should have the right to confine you to hos. just because your motorhome happens to be a CMV.

but that's just me.

Cetane+ and DrtyDiesel Thank this.
  10. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    I don't know because as far as DOT and FMCSA are concerned that "motorhome" is registered as a commercial vehicle and subject to all the rules and regs.

11. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Most of the issues I see are much less cloudy, I have drivers that will log to PC then deliver a load, or drive to a shipper, or while loaded just sign out and drive home. It's funny how it always happens at 10 hours and 59 minutes of driving. So like I said, I hate PC. We used to asked the driver managers if they authorized it and they'd always say yes. Now I don't bother, if you're loaded and using PC it gets changed to driving. If you deliver or pick up on PC it gets changed to driving. Most cases we'll take it away, it's pointless because someone else will just reinstate it the very next time they want to use it, and rest assured they'll use it incorrectly again. Did I mention I hate PC?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.