Logbook with occasional driving

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Ccjohn, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Ccjohn

Ccjohn Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Where I work I drive over the road usually only 2-3 times per month. Most of my work is at the yard either doing maintenence, using machines, or helping customers. The daily deliveries I do are all close and well within the 100 mile limit.

When I do drive over the 100 mile limit how should I fill out my previous day's logs. Should I match my logs to my time card and just put on duty since I'm not driving?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sh333

sh333 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2016
    You only need to have logs for the days that you don't qualify for the short haul exemption.

Question 20: When a driver fails to meet the provisions of the 100 air-mile radius exemption (section 395.1(e)), is the driver required to have copies of his/her records of duty status for the previous seven days? Must the driver prepare daily records of duty status for the next seven days?

Guidance: The driver must only have in his/her possession a record of duty status for the day he/she does not qualify for the exemption. The record of duty status must cover the entire day, even if the driver has to record retroactively changes in status that occurred between the time that the driver reported for duty and the time in which he/she no longer qualified for the 100 air-mile radius exemption. This is the only way to ensure that a driver does not claim the right to drive 10 hours after leaving his/her exempt status, in addition to the hours already driven under the 100 air-mile exemption.

4. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    Remember it's 100 air miles which is equal to 115 miles as we know it. Also it's not driven miles but "air" miles. Here is a map that will help. Put in your location and change the miles to 115 and hit draw. Stay in the green circle you are with in your 100 air miles.

https://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm

5. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    I don't think he needs help understanding the air miles concept, rather how to log his days when he's beyond it.

If you're beyond the air miles regulation you have to have a copy of your logs from the previous 7 days.

So every time you take an OTR run you'll need logs from the previous 7 days to be compliant. Whether those previous 7 days were spent local or even on the couch, you have to have logs for them.

Log your local days as on duty making sure to log your mandatory. This will keep you compliant as long as you stay within your 70 when you're out on the road.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I love when someone posts wrong info hours after someone else post the actual regulation.

7. Ccjohn

Ccjohn Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2016
    So by post #2 let's say I spent all week working in the yard or falling under the 100 mile rule. Then I go for a trip that's 150 air miles. Of course I need logs for that. If I were to get stopped do I tell the officer I've been under the 100 mile exemption for the past 7 days so I've got no logs? That's how I read it

8. sh333

sh333 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2016
    That's correct. Say you're typically a local driver, and your time sheets are at the shop / your home terminal.

9. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    It helps to explain Air Miles. BTW... note this in the post.

Guidance: The driver must only have in his/her possession a record of duty status for the day he/she does not qualify for the exemption.

10. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Yeah, I read that the first time. It doesn't mean anything.

Next time you get pulled over 3 states away from home go ahead and tell the DOT officer you don't have 7 consecutive days of logs because you were local.
    Enjoy your ticket.

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    That ticket, if written, would be dropped before the trial date because the DA isn't going to take a case in front of the judge that he knows he isn't going to win. And if it DOES go to trial, show up with your time card and any other evidence you might have to prove you were local on those previous days, along with the guidance straight from the FMCSA. Case dismissed, and both the DA and the officer get to look incompetent in front of the judge.

wore out Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.