Lone Mountain Truck Leasing

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by ShelbyKay, Jun 9, 2015.

1. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I don't know if the oil is still good or not. I used to pull oil samples every time I did an oil change. My local CAT dealer once told me that they would work with me to find the optimum time to change my oil. They told me that I should be able to get at least 25,000 miles on an oil change. I probably should have followed through with them. Old habits are hard to change. One way I have found to determine that it is past time to change the oil is by monitoring oil pressure. If the pressure drops below a certain point then it is probably time to change the oil. While not scientific, I have had this happen on one truck. It is probably as important or more important to change the filter as the oil. Filters can become clogged and that can impede oil flow. In this instance, I had a couple of different drivers in that particular truck and the oil change interval was missed. The truck was about 1,000 miles from home. The oil pressure dropped dramatically. The driver thought the engine was about to blow. I had him change the oil and the pressure came back up with no problems since. It is a good idea for anyone running trucks to do an oil analysis from time to time. It can give you a heads up on a potential problem, before something dramatic happens. It is cheap insurance.

spectacle13 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Wise words.

4. anotherjoe

anotherjoe Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2013
    I was doing 25000mi oil changes. my cam was junk at 675,000 chafing on 3lobes 3 rockers had wear. Mech explained to me that engine metals are cheap dont last as long. My engine only has 14900 hrs with 675000

5. average joe

average joe Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    So you are planning on failing? If the big selling point of a lease for you is you can " walk away with my credit intact" you're nowhere near ready to buy a truck.

VolvoTerry Thanks this.
  6. anotherjoe

Jan 8, 2013
    Really you seem to have me fig out. I got 4 months left on a 46month lease. Never missed a full payment. Ive made between 8000 up to 12000+ in repairs every yr. Plus ive paid over 27000 in Fed taxes. And ive put over 12000 in savings . Yea your prob right im not ready to own a truck

trucker91 Thanks this.
  7. average joe

average joe Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    And let's not forget your credit is intact! Also if you have paid over 27000 in federal tax you need a new accountant.

8. powerhousescott

powerhousescott Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    Hopefully you got your bugs worked out and can get to making some money with that truck. At least wise you stuck it out and didn't throw your hands in the air. Hopefully you got a good deal on that Prostar to start with.

9. pete1

pete1 Heavy Load Member

Seems to me if you buy a truck with one of these def systems, an APU is almost a necessity, as well as doing a PM every 8-10,000 miles...

10. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I think you may have hit your head. You can not even buy the parts for a rebuild for 3 grand. So by extending your oil changes you are saving $1000 per year over 10 years. Where a rebuild is in the neighborhood of 20-30k. If you did a rebuild for 3k then you did not do an entire rebuild.

pete1 Thanks this.
  11. anotherjoe

Jan 8, 2013
    Ye

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.