Long Time Trucker First time problem.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Keith Petrella, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Keith Petrella

Keith Petrella Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2015
    Stroudsburg, PA
    okay now this is where I am at!! I took down the stock antenna on the roof and also took down the Wilson 2000 whips I had to get the previous results. I now went with the Wilson Fiberglass antenna with the pig tail. I was able to tune the Wilson fiberglass with pigtail attached to the mount to 1=1.5 20=1.3 40=1.5 I have gotten a tremendous increase in the output I was able to transmit 10 miles. I left the switcher box in place only because once that is disconnected I will have no am/fm radio as it used the antenna on the roof to bring in stations. and if you bypass the junction boxes you go from cb co-phase use to cb single phase use. I still would like to figure out the main issue with the truck and the swr readings. Could the entire truck have an improper ground? Would it assist if I ran a ground from the negative battery to the frame? At this point I do believe that mirror mounting is completely out of the question. My best results at this point has ended up using the factory mounts with the Wilson 1000 fiberglass antenna and I was forced to use the pigtail attached to the mounts to achieve the last results. I also installed for a friend with the identical truck 2 Firestik antenna the following results
    His truck
    1=1.4 20=1.2 40=1.4
    My truck
    1=1.5 20=1.3 40=1.5
    on my truck if I did not attach the pigtail my results were 3.0 2.0 3.0
    now his truck is 6 months older than mine but identical in every way except for the manufacture date.
    2016 Freightliner Cascadia Day cab with the Detroit engine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Keith Petrella

Keith Petrella Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2015
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Skipshooter does in fact make a 6' Skipshooter antenna. And to test my theory that it is not the antenna the cause of the poor SWR with it on the freightliner side mirror mount.
    I installed the 6' Skipshooter antenna onto my Chevy Blazer Bumper mount with the end SWR result of 1=1.0 20=1.0 40=1.0 perfect match. And please let me tell you I am not pleased with the recommended Skipshooter antenna.
    using a
    Connex CX3400HP cb
    (preciously taken care of by DTB radio in Carlisle, PA) and a
    "lil wil" (smallest magnet mount Wilson makes) 13 mile clear transmission. Tested over multiple days
    Skipshooter 6' antenna with the best possible SWR match. 5 mile transmission. Which I will test over the next couple of days. But if its performance does not meet its reputation. My personal vehicle will be converted back to the "lil wil"

4. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    bumper mount is not the optimum location for mounting. If you have the little will mounted in the center of your roof it has the advantage. They make heavy duty 3 magnet mounts you could use a 6 ft antenna on your roof. It will hit a lot of trees though.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.