Lookin for o/o work in SK

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by truckman2121, Feb 24, 2016.

1. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    About three or four years ago Landstar was advertising all over the prairies, including in the Western Producer.
    Don't know about now.
    I've hauled peat moss from Seba Beach to Denver and it didn't even gross $1.00 a mile, that was 7 years ago.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckman2121

truckman2121 Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2015
    Ouch ! Yea I didn't think it would be payin much.I live up north in Saskatchewan,currently on the log haul as a company driver but the season is almost over so I'm booked in for a financing appointment for a truck and gonna go out on my own.Just need to find some ok paying work and preferably a load close by to where I live that could be a starting/ending point.That would be the best situation in a perfect world, but I'm open to lookin at anything at this point!

4. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    You are picking a terrible time to be an owner operator.

not4hire, nate980 and taxihacker66 Thank this.
  5. belowspeedlimit

belowspeedlimit Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    Don't think there will ever be a good time.

6. Prairie Boy

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Then I would become a company driver.

Dye Guardian Thanks this.
  7. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    Gotta say I agree with prairie boy. The amount of trucks that are coming from the oil field to just do whatever freight they can is huge. I know guys right now that are pretty much just working to stay barely afloat hauling general freight and they can't find anything better. The guys without truck payments are doing way better.

8. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Ya, the oil patch guys have done a number to the grain and fertilizer business. Last year I only got two loads of fertilizer the whole year, usually I would get two or three a week during the peak times. That was our gravy money, now it only covers fuel and minimum wage. So we haven't bothered with it.
    But it seems that companies are still looking for trucks that can go to the USA, as a lot of guys either can't or won't go down there.
    It could be okay to start as an owner-op now if you can get into it cheap enough. If you can make it in this environment, you'd get rich when good times return.

9. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    NRT but they have a paint cide I believe.

Last I heard on Q Line was they were slow. Got a shop down the road and was talking to a couple of their o/o

10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Hauled peat moss to California seven-ish years ago. It paid lousy then and I can't imagine it has gotten any better.

I absolutely would not buy a truck right now unless you're paying cash, have an extremely good direct relationship with a reliable and busy shipper (or receiving customer) who isn't looking at the cheapest solution possible, and you can afford to sit at home if rates are bad.

11. Prairie Boy

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Had a friend that was to haul peat moss to Phoenix. Convinced him to buy a load which he did. Got to Phoenix and paid Met Mall $125.00 to park and sell his peat moss. After selling close to a quarter of the load in about 3 hours. A landscaper came along and offered him 10% more than his asking price if he could get the rest of it. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.