Lookin for o/o work in SK

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by truckman2121, Feb 24, 2016.

1. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I was delivering to an ag-supply place in the Napa region, so I asked the manager, "Is it this good Alberta peat moss that makes good California wine?" He said, "No, it makes good California dope. All the grow-ops like it."

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mudflap77

mudflap77 Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2010
    South western Ontario
    I disagree. Now is a great time to consider and possibly become an O/O. Here is why.
    If you can plan and figure out how to start and be profitable in a down market you will do very well when the market turns around. On the other hand if you start out in a good market it would be very easy to get yourself over extended.
    I myself am currently consider making the jump because I can pencil it out now in the current market with some wiggle room.
    My opinion if I know can be profitable now in a depressed market, I am sure I can also be in rising one. If I can only be profitable in a rising market, I'm only guess on what will happen when the market starts to down turn again.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  4. mudflap77

mudflap77 Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2010
    South western Ontario
    That is my theory

5. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Rates have dropped by at least 35 percent in the past year. Good luck!

6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    There isn't much spot market freight for the independent right now. So how are you going to find work? Get a direct customer? Beat everyone else on price? And when the market rises your customer will want to continue paying you today's low rate since you were able to be profitable in the lean times why should he pay you more now? Why should he pay you more upfront when you are the unproven new kid on the block? And when rates rise, will you tell your customer you are never available anymore when someone else wants to pay you more? How will you play this situation?

I agree those that can make it in a down market will do very well in the strong market. Starting now it will be difficult to even find anything decent to haul. Good luck to you though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.