LOOKING 4 SOME UNDERSTANDING

Discussion in 'Millis' started by MOTRUCKZ, Oct 25, 2015.

1. MOTRUCKZ

MOTRUCKZ Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2015
    I'm thinking about going to drive-train trucking school. They said we have to pay upfront for the physical and for the permit to drive with a trainer. If the class is two weeks and you are suppose to sign on with a company for a year, when do you actually get your cdl?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Depends on how long your course curriculum is. Some places fast track and have you in and out in 2-3 weeks, while some, like community colleges take 8 weeks. Either way, getting CDL takes place at the end of the program. You'll get your permit first, then practice driving/backing with instructors...then go to DMV for Road/Backing test...you pass, waaaaallllaaaa CDL holder you are.

G13Tomcat and MOTRUCKZ Thank this.
  4. MOTRUCKZ

MOTRUCKZ Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2015
    So if I sign to a company for them to pay for my schooling, will I get license at the end of the class or after I go over the road with the trainer for a few weeks?

5. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    That depends on who you sign on with. If it were me, I'd get my CDL first on my own...if you go to a company to get it you'll be joined at the hip of that company for a year. If you leave beforehand you'll be obligated to pay them back for CDL school.

6. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    You should have it by the end of class. The OTR part is all company training, you really will only be taught enough in school to get your CDL and become the deadliest truck driver in the country till you get some OTR training.

rachi, Solo_Seat, taxihacker66 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. MOTRUCKZ

MOTRUCKZ Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2015
    I was just curious. I didn't know if the actual training from the company was part of me getting the license.

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  8. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Millis:
    Class is 3 weeks. You have 3 days of orientation. You go out with a trainer for 15,000 miles. You then get scheduled for your cdl test. The Texas Millis training school I think runs a little different.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. TheyCallMeTaterSalad

TheyCallMeTaterSalad Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2013
    New York State
    This isnt always true. I know when i went through the course at Millis, Yes you have to run 15k miles before you can test out and into your own truck. While you are running those 15k miles with your trainer, you get scheduled for your road test and they route you back to your home state to take said test. When both you and your trainer feel your ready to road test. I know when i did mine i only had about 5k miles out of the 15k done when i road tested. i got mine done early. You dont have to wait till the end of your training or the 15k to take your road test. Only to test with the company and get your own truck.

Depends on what school you go to also. I think the WI school you actually road test at the end of the 3 weeks of "schooling" and get your license, then go out for the 15k with a trainer.

Hope this helps.

MOTRUCKZ and SHOJim Thank this.
  10. Solo_Seat

Solo_Seat Medium Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    Once you get your CDL, you can then focus on learning to drive. It's a weight off you and your trainer's shoulders. I got mine somewhere in the 10,000 mile range. You will have to schedule your test in your state while out. In GA, there was like a 2 month waiting period at most places. I finally took it in Albany at the DMV (a place where everyone says don't take it) and I passed it on the first try. It's not anything more difficult than what you are doing anyway. I think people let it get in their heads and the psych themselves out. But getting it early is better.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  11. JOHNQPUBLIC

JOHNQPUBLIC Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    If you attend training in Richfield, WI you will test out there at the end of training before going out with the trainer. A third party tester dkes it.

If you pass the results are transmitted to your home state ans you will be licensed by your home state.

If you fail, you can routed back there to retake it while with your trainer

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.