Looking at insurance for hotshot

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by DJ1Houston, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Nottoway

Nottoway Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Southeast Virginia
    I just got a quote today from Progressive on a one year old Dodge 4500 and 40' flatbed trailer. $1 million liability, $100k cargo and Phys. Damage w/ $1k deductible and based on $35k truck value and $7k trailer value. Unlimited mileage. My DMVR and Credit reports are excellent. Just got my CDL in September. $5442/year w/ 11 payments. Or take another $800 discount for a single annual payment = $4643. (Additional discounts for 2 years of experience which I do not qualify for at this time.)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mcgoo422000

mcgoo422000 Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    My insurance with them was 4384 for the year with a paid in full discount. That's seven years no tickets or claims.
    They start out cheap and inch up every year till you go somewhere else.

4. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2012

We had auto insurance with them a few years ago, and as I recall, we had a similar experience. Further, their billing was incomprehensible. We had several vehicles and every time we changed something, it seemed like they managed to double our bill until we called and griped and then it would get "fixed" until next time, when we'd go through it again. Further, at the time, we paid by mail, and it seemed like they camped on the payments for several days, letting your insurance expire and then reinstating it once they finally processed the payments.

We now use Liberty Mutual for our cars and rv and home insurance, and have been very happy. Our boys both bought brand new cars, at ages 21 and 25, and we got excellent rates for them on our insurance. The rates have been good, and further, the customer service has been good. I'm not advertising for them, but compared to the last two vehicle insurers we had, it's been incredibly positive. They've cost less and been better. Hard to argue with that.

"Progressive", btw, is actually named after the political ideology of the founder...

5. Nottoway

Sep 3, 2012
    Southeast Virginia
    Well, I don't like THAT!

But who else writes for drivers w/o recent experience?

6. mcgoo422000

Mar 18, 2012
    They look at your issue date on your CDL. I price shop every couple years now.
    I used to do it every year but was more trouble than it was worth to save 100 dollars. I'm still with progressive cause no one this year beat their price and paying all at once saves about 18%. If you're starting out I wouldn't pay a year at once cause you may not like doing this.

Nottoway Thanks this.
  7. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    I don't have much of a problem with progressive, after I jackknifed the truck this year they covered everything, even the hotel bill.

8. smithtrucking5

smithtrucking5 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Winfield, AL
    As a new O/O I have not found any option other than Progressive. Everywhere else I called required that a company be in business 1 year before they would insure. No complaints with Progressive so far.

9. mcgoo422000

Mar 18, 2012
    You're the reason my rates went up 400 this year.

10. Nottoway

Sep 3, 2012
    Southeast Virginia
    Their quote to me this week included a 15% discount for up front payment. But your advice is spot on for a newbie ... to pay monthly the first year! Even though a refund might be ok if one were to take the truck off the road later, it just makes sense to spread out and manage your costs starting up.

11. vwaytrucking

vwaytrucking Bobtail Member

May 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Can you send me your guy in Conroe information. I am in Houston and I'm looking for insurance you can pm or text me 281-891-0510

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.