Looking at purchasing a 2011 387 with isx cummins need help

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Misterpreston, May 10, 2016.

1. Misterpreston

Misterpreston Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2016
    I found a 2011 pete. It has an isx cummin with a DPF filter. The truck has 502,000 miles and has just as of today been overhauled completely. I currently own a 2005 volvo with a isx generation 2 cummins. The turbo just went out on the Volvo and also she needs an overhaul and the rear-ends completely rebuilt. I am debating on what to do. The Volvo DOES NOT have a dpf filter. In the overhaul paperwork it shows the DPF filter was CLEANED and reinstalled not replaced. My biggest fear is the horror stories I read about dpf filters. I have been told that anywhere from 6 months to 3 years they need to be cleaned at a price tag of 2,500. If not maintained they can cost over 6,000 worth of damage to your motor. First I want to know more about what people who drive the pete think about it and second what kind of life they get from there cummins. I don't want to end up with a headache and make a good financial decision. What tips or tricks do you use in keeping the filter clean and maintained to not have any issues arise. I thought about getting it inspected every 3 months and cleaned once a year but that a big cost and i don't want to have problems down the road. My understanding of the dpf filter is very minimal and like I said I want to make a great purchase. I am very interested in this truck because of the overhaul done and the amount asked for the truck is about 40,000. Thank you for your help and have a great day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Greetings driver,

Welcome to the site.

Well to start off. From 2008-2013 was all the proto-type year trucks with the new DPF and hint of SRC systems.

OK are you going to goto California?

what are you hauling? Refer, Van,flatbed or other?

$40k. Is a bit high for sure.

Below is a truck in that year range. With its issues.

I HAD a 2008 386 Pete with DPF on a CAT motor.

Diesel cost during regen.(side of road) 1500rpm for 45 min. As well as other maditory regen Cost me $9500. For a year.
    ARD injector $800. Plus install $1700.and Peterbilt to program ECM for new part.
    DPF filter clean 3 times in 6 months $4,000.

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Get another Volvo. Mine worked great. I got 6.5 this winter with no APU. It was a 2012 that had some clean idle or idle smart technology. You turn the cruise on during idle, and after awhile it would run on high idle ( 1200 ), not regening, then it would say clean idle engaged, and idle at 800. Every once in awhile it would kick back up, then come back down.
    Volvo also a digital meter in the instruments that shows your soot level in your DPF. 0 to 2 is like brand new EGR parts. Mine had 520K when I had to get rid of it, and soot gauge was at 0.5 and never moved from there. The records showed it had the DPF cleaned at 475K.
    The Shop General Manager at Volvo in Phoenix told me bring it by once a year, not more than 150K miles apart, they keep it for 2 days, clean it ( DPF ), $1200, and your on your way. He said never F with the other sensors just let them go bad, and replace as needed.
    I never had a problem. D13 Power baby.

Bakerman Thanks this.
  5. Misterpreston

Misterpreston Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2016
    I haul van currently and have stayed out of cali so far but am looking to go with a company who would send me to cali.

6. Do some research on this site for Cummings egr cooler. Find out when that truck had vit replaced.

7. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I would strongly stay away from any Cummins ISX15 unless it's a CM2350, which came out in 2013/2014

You will need to check the Engine Tag.

It's a improved version over the earlier ISX15's.

8. spax

spax Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    Don't listen to bad info like this. If you find a nice well maintained truck and can take good care of it, you'll be fine. There's lots of good info to be found in your search for answers. Cm871's are good, 2250's can be made reliable too. If that '11 you are talking about has dpf only, no def, it's an 871. If it takes def it's a 2250. Some '11's still got an 871 but most had 2250's, depends

9. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Don't listen to bad info like this, check the threads about how troublesome the ISX15 is, sure you might find a good one here and there, but the vast majority of ISX15's are garbage.

The ISX15 was derived from the Signature 600 which was another piece of garbage.

The only reason the ISX15 was developed was because of the EPA and it's stringent Diesel Emission Rules.

If it wasn't for that, the Cummins N-14 would still be produced, which was one of the best motors Cummins ever made.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  10. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    DPF is fairly easy to remove yourself, and shops charge about 2hrs to bake/pulse it. Where did you get a figure of 2.5k? You could pick up a spare filter for that amount...

bigmotor1212 Thanks this.
  11. spax

spax Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    Beyond the emission systems why are they garbage?

bigmotor1212 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.