Looking at schools. (CT or Abroad) NETTS/Allstate? Paid OTR? 65hr/160hr/500hour?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Weeezerd, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Weeezerd

Weeezerd Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2016
    I'm currently living in CT & I'm looking at schools I have the option to go to in my state.

*There's NETTS (New England Tractor Trailer School) in Bridgeport CT.
    Netts has a 600 hour program, & a 160 hour program. The 600hr is $10K. Im unsure how much the 160hr is. If I were to choose nets 600HR, I would qualify for a Pell grant up to $2000 & up to $5000 from WIOA.
    *There's ALLSTATE in Seymour CT & Meriden CT & Naugatuck CT.
    Allstate has a 30hr program for $3700 and a 60hr program for $5000 with 40hrs 1on1 training, 20hrs classroom. If I apply for Allstate, I'm positive I can use WIOA. I'm not sure if I can use a Pell Grant because the program is so short.
    *There's A.B. CDL in Waterford CT
    A.B.CDL has a 500hr program for $5700 and I can use WIOA, plus the owner spoke with me on the phone about an agriculture grant that will cover the entire cost of their program. I'm going to look into this grant.

So the mission (if you choose to undertake it) is to figure out if anyone here has any opinions on the above CT schooling facilities. Do any of them have a bad reputation in your opinion? Also curious to know what the concensus is on how many hours someone completely green to driving trucks should look into. Can I get by on the Allstate 60hr course (with 40hrs 1on1) or should I be looking into a 160 or 500hr program. Considering the AB-CDL school is just 700 more than Allstate but offers 500hrs (10wks) rather than Allstate's 65, maybe that would be a better option for me? I want to get the most out of this schooling, I really do.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jrdude5

Jrdude5 Heavy Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    New York, NY
    I would take the 500 since not much more buy you should look into a community college usually a better price. Most companies want 160hr plus so I wouldn't do anything less than that or you might have a hard time getting on somewhere and if you plan on going OTR you could look into a company sponsored program.

Weeezerd Thanks this.
  4. Dieselmydrug

Dieselmydrug Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2016
    Little Rhody
    I think they all have bad reps one way or the other. I went to a "mom and pop" school in winter of
    '93-'94 for $4500. Nothing special at all, had '81 Mack cab overs for training LOL. I jumped in the deep end.
    I was there 45 min early to check the trucks out, help the owner and trainers lite fires under oil pans
    so they would start.....god good times. 7am- 5 six days a week for 12 weeks. I did have a little knowledge
    to start out with because a friend's Dad owned two trucks, stuck my nose to the grind stone, asked
    question after question. I graduated top of the class and got the trust of an O/O right off.
    Call me a brown noser if you will, but the price doesn't mean a thing if you REALLY want to drive.
    Get the best price and wish you the best of luck!!

Puppage and Weeezerd Thank this.
  5. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Allstate is pretty good from what I have learned. And, while a community college course is better for your wallet, I know of none in CT. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

6. Weeezerd

Aug 21, 2016
    I can't seem to remember where you went puppage, I remember reading through threads where you were talking about going to school but I can't for the life of me remember where you attended. Did you go through NETTTS? I just gave them a call today & they'll be calling me back.

Allstate worries me because I'm hearing a lot of talk about companies not hiring without 160 hrs. and Allstate can be the best school in CT but if a company wont hire me out in the west because they see 60hrs & don't know of Allstate's reputation, that's no good, right? idk.

7. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    All I can say is get the 160hr hr training forget the other choices.
    The school I'm in is 160hr, 2 weeks full time class, then 11, 4hr blocks of driving one on one.
    They factor in the time it takes for you to get your CLP which is something like 25 hrs? That said the actual schooling hours is much less. Finally I believe they factor in 3 hours for your skills test.

Too bad you are in Conn and there isn't a college program..

Weeezerd and Puppage Thank this.
  8. Weeezerd

Aug 21, 2016
    Still haven't decided on a school. Do the mega companies typically only hire 160hr+ graduates? or is this a myth or tall tale? I ask because the woman at the grant office told me guys get hired immediately after graduating the 65hr program Allstate offers. Maybe they're choosing awful companies? If I went to the 65hr program it'd be a much, much shorter commute, but that isn't worth being unhirable by good companies.

9. Concorde

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I can't give you a direct answer to your question, but I'd recommend calling a carrier you want to work for and ask a recruiter what they require. From personal experience in job searching I've found many of the carriers hiring recent CDL grads will have a list of approved schools. Personally I would ignore anything under 150-160 hours. The 160 hr program I'm in isn't really 160hrs on campus training...40ish hrs are homework.
    From this site...."Things to consider when selecting a school"
    *Accreditation – a good school will have sought out accreditation by an agency approved by the U.S. Department of Education
    *Certification – meets or exceeds the Professional Truck Driver Institute standard, including a least 44 hours of actual drive time.
    Scroll down and ignore the adds..
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/the-top-three-national-truck-driving-schools/

Weeezerd Thanks this.
  10. Concorde

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    LOL! You don't want people saying......

[​IMG]

Weeezerd Thanks this.
  11. Weeezerd

Aug 21, 2016
    Thank you bro, I will try calling some carriers Monday. Can I ask one more thing? I am wondering if it is considered normal to be applying to companies that may not have a terminal near my current residence. I have no issue moving... Is it going to be a pain in the ### to relocate for training? I can pay transportation for the right company. Have you seen a lot of people relocate for a driving position?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.