looking for a company in the fuel business for new driver in Co

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by J0ker13, Nov 12, 2015.

1. J0ker13

J0ker13 Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2015
    So I am currently in school to get my cdl. I'm looking for a company that will not only hire me, but throughout orientation, help me with my hazmat and tanker endorsement. I'm currently located in Lakewood CO, but I'm not really worried about commute, as driving happens to be the job I am signing up for. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Getting your tanker endorsement is just a matter of reading the manual and taking the test. Hazmat is the same but is much more extensive, and a lot tougher. You also need to pass an FBI back ground check. I doubt any tanker company will hire you until you get at least two years experience. Good luck.

4. J0ker13

J0ker13 Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2015
    I was told differently by an instructor, although he couldn't give me specific company names because it would have been against the school policy. He did however direct me to this website, and said there were companies who hired new drivers for tankers in gas. He may have been incorrect, but I got on here with the hopes of finding one, so I could make good money, yet still remain home at night with my family.

5. Speedwagon98

Speedwagon98 Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Insurance is the biggest reason, that I've heard, companies won't hire less than 2 years experience. The biggest gas haulers in the area are Groendyke and Solar. I don't believe either will hire a new driver for tankers though. If you want to find some companies, go sit by the loading racks in Commerce City. SunCor West and Phillips are the busiest racks. 56th and Brighton, 56th and 6

6. glenn71

glenn71 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Your instructor is right. There are lots of tanker companies that will hire you right out of school, and help you get Hazmat and TWIC. However, it is better to get the HazMat and TWIC yourself, as it makes you more marketable at the interview.

The old "you need two years experience to haul tankers" crap is, well, crap. There are dozens of drivers on this site that have hauled HazMat tankers right out of school, including myself.

7. J0ker13

J0ker13 Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Have any specific companies you can name? Maybe any that may be local to Colorado?

8. Hanzerik

Hanzerik Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hehe, yep, best time of day is around 4:30-5:30pm. J/K Brighton and 56th sucks booty that time of day. Plus I don't know how the Suncor security would react to someone sitting around the Rack. And at Phillips he wouldn't get a chance to talk to anybody because he wouldn't be able to get into the terminal. He could get a feel for which companies run around here though, just by watching the trucks coming and going. But trying to talk to a driver might be a little difficult.

9. glenn71

glenn71 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Not in Colorado. I have no idea who operates out there. You'll just have to do some local research.

10. Speedwagon98

Speedwagon98 Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Oh dear lord does that intersection suck that time of day. Especially when a coal train comes by.

I wasn't trying to suggest getting access to any facilities. Just stop for a few minutes in a good spot, and watch for trucking company names.

11. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Yup sit around by a refinery and see how long it takes the anti-terror guys to show up...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.