looking for a place to buy truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Gucci25, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Gucci25

Gucci25 Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2015
    Hello. It's me again with a little more money. $12,000 this time. Looking for a place i can get a working peterbuilt 379 from. Nothing new just something with maybe a rebuilt. Anyone know any dealers??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Is 12k your limit or down payment? If your looking at 12k get that 379 idea out of your head. IMO used pete/kw want way too much for. I love the long nose look but would never justify the price on 90% of em

tommymonza Thanks this.
  5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    How much did you have to spend before? 10k?

6. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    From what I have been looking at 2002 and earlier on truckpaper, yes the old Pete's and KWs seems overpriced but from what I see they are in much better condition cosmetically, as in they have been cared for. And also seem to have a lot of expensive parts replaced on them

Old I Internationals and Western stars seem to be quite reasonable. Yet.
    I have been looking specifically at freight shaker classic XLs and the majority of them just looked beat, and they are not going for cheap either.

7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I found a classic xl for 18.5 with rebuilt 6nz reman trans, clutch and rears. keep looking man eventually you'll come across a gem. My dad and I have been searching the net for a few months now. Just watch out for rust on those older trucks. Rust is cancer. So far we've looked at 3 used macks all 2007's and they were rust buckets, never washed apparently

8. alien4fish

alien4fish Light Load Member

theres a TON of good 379's in the truck paper, another good alternative is a 386 with a flat top sleeper. those are also priced reasonably well. 12K for a down is good as long as you stay in 35-50 range

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  9. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    I've been in the market for an older 379 or W900 for a while, to replace my 387. Any with a fresh rebuild (what I was after) is going to be about 50-65K, with some running up into the 70's. I finally found one myself, and worked the terms to only be 10% down. That would leave you some of that money for the immediate and inevitable needs of an older truck. Rebuild or not, there's always something else that will need to be done. I finally found the W900L I'm getting being sold by a local mechanic shop, so keep a sharp eye out for any smaller outfits that may be selling only 1 or 2 trucks at a time. The big dealers will usually get picked over pretty quickly. Financing on older rigs like that can be tricky, too. Many finance places won't touch anything past a 2008, but there are some places that will do it, so always lead your financing question with how old of a truck will they put out a loan for...it will save you time when you do find your dream truck. Good luck, guy. If I was able to find a good one after a year of searching, you will, too. Be really picky about the one you settle on, though. I almost pulled the trigger on a truck just a week before I found this W9, and I'm so glad I waited just a little longer.

alien4fish and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Get what you really want. If you have to wait a little longer then wait. Whatever you end up with is what your gonna have to sink money into and live with everyday. Better to sink money into something you really wanted rather then what you settled for. Usually costs less money in the long run

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.