Looking for advice.

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Jubal3, May 5, 2016.

1. Jubal3

Jubal3 Heavy Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Central WA
    I have a decent credit score, about $20k to put into a truck and figure about another $20k (which I will have in another year) for operating expenses. Looking to BUY my own late-model truck and lease on with one of the better companies out there doing reefer/Hazmat/dryvan.

I have all my endorsements plus TWIC and a passport.

Been OTR for a year, will have 2 years under my belt before I even consider taking on the debt.

I figure on a one-year-old repo, at $120-125k, for a debt load of 100kish.

I'm trying to do tha math and make it work.

I have ZERO mechanical aptitude. As in, I STINK at doing my own repairs beyond fluid/filter changes and bulb replacements. So I will have to account for maintenance, because I want a truck with warranty on it for at least two, if not three years, otherwise I'm going to have to depend on someone else to not rip me off on repairs, and that's not something I am good at nor have any interest in. I know someone good, but I'm not sure I trust him to not blank me over.

I'm really GOOD at sales and Cust. Service. And paperwork isn't intimidating to me. I can do time management and multitask pretty well. I can reliably make 600+ miles per day barring insane weather.

Is this even doable? I've had a couple of guys urge me to buy a 25k truck, put $5k into it and run for one-2 years and hope for the best with no payments and trust to luck that that truck with 600k miles on it will perform.

I would be all over that except I cannot do my own maintenance so a $15k repair will put me under.

Just looking for some guidelines here. I have the cash. In a year, when I want to do this, I will have operating expenses of $20k and a down payment of 20k. I'm just looking to see what you guys think of this. Am I nuts? Would I be better off waiting another year year and just working for Walmart?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Clyde07

Clyde07 Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2013
    Post this again in a year. I'm not trying to be funny. I'm dead serious.

Jubal3 Thanks this.
  4. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    I'd wait until you have that 20k in operating expenses available, unless you're leasing onto a carrier before getting your own authority.

Jubal3 Thanks this.
  5. Jubal3

Jubal3 Heavy Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Central WA
    I would be leasing, rahter than GETTING my own authority.

6. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    Truth be told, my personal vehicle is putting me in a hole. I could imagine what the cost would be to maintain a big truck. That is why I am a company driver. Too much up front cost for me and too much risk for future headaches. I don't have the best luck and am too conservative to try it.

You should start this with baby steps and just drive for a while.

Jubal3 Thanks this.
  7. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Listen to them and do this. Far, far away the better bet than leasing a newer truck. Even if you have some maintenance come up, no payments is no payments. And, you can always sell it again.

ps, them 07's were good trucks. pile of them sitting out back of fargo peterbuilt for $14k.

Jubal3 Thanks this.
  8. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
  9. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    [QUOTE="Oor, post: 5205883, member: 78455

ps, them 07's were good trucks. pile of them sitting out back of fargo peterbuilt for $14k.[/QUOTE]
    Hell, I'll buy one of those then.

10. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    I thought about getting one instead of a pickup for a personal vehicle.

No room in the driveway for two semi's though.

11. Jubal3

Jubal3 Heavy Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Central WA
    I'm doing all my research before I jump into this with a pretty huge investment. I'm 52 in June. I started this journey a year ago and already know I like OTR. I'm looking at getting a small company started in about ten years so I can sit home and dispatch and sell instead of driving til I'm 80. My retirement just walked off with my ex-wife, so now I'm scrambling. Because there is no way n Hell, even saving $20k a year, that I can retire at 67 and not be dirt poor.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.