Looking for confirmation...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by christylea123, May 20, 2015.

1. christylea123

christylea123 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2013
    I am trying to find out exactly what paperwork my company should have on their tractors and trailers, how often they should be updated, and if I get pulled over and don't have the right paperwork who is getting the fine?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    ins certificate, IRP registration, IFTA ,,annual DOT inspection , if leased to a carrier a copy of the lease agreement,

4. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Our trucks have the paperwork checked every time we are home and the truck gets a PM service done. Even so I check periodically because you never know.

5. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    I was always told that it is the drivers responsibility to ensure that the unit he/she is driving has the proper paperwork prior to departure. So, I would assume (dangerous word there) that if a fine is involved, it would be to the driver. As it was the driver's decision to not check or not care and leave in an undocumented truck.

6. ElevateMe

ElevateMe Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2008
    United States
    unless you have owner responsibility documentation, which is rare, driver is responsible for all the aforementioned by "315wheelbase".....it's part of pre trip.....i'll include authorization from employer to operate, bol's, & if hazmat that paperwork must be in order also be aware of dates, expirations, etc. also what i've done when i didn't "know", i'd contact those who are kowledgable, in a "pinch", and i always refer to my fmcsa handbook.......this way you have their own documentation to back you.......and if it may help, you're showing that you are making the effort to follow "rules" as written......."be safe, roll hard, stack dollars"

7. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    Here is an interesting and often overlooked bit of paperwork advice that I will give you for free.

Every trailer should have a trailer registration. It is usually in a little box or other holder of some sort affixed on or near the nose of the trailer. During your Pre-Trip, check to make sure the trailer registration box contains the trailer registration AND that it is legible (they can fade over time or get wet and the ink runs all over the paper). If the registration is not legible, time to get a new one.

Additionally, while you are looking at the registration, make a mental note of the stated tag number and then go look at your trailer's actual tag to make sure they match. They don't always match....they need to.

A couple of years ago, our entire fleet of trailers went through a tag update. If I remember correctly, the company changed the state the tags were from to another state. I picked up a load off of one of our yards, checked it out, tag number didn't match. The trailer beside of the one I was hooking up had the tag my trailer was suppose to have. Our maintenance personnel didn't pay close enough attention when they went around changing out the tags and got some of them crossed up. It's an easy fix on the company yard, not so easy if the scale house catches it first.

LoneCowboy Thanks this.
  8. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2013
    CT
    The fine goes to the driver. I was driving one of our dump bodies with an excavator on my trailer to a job site (I drive local for an asphalt company). I got pulled for a random by the DOT cop that noticed I had no lettering on the passenger side door (which was replaced a couple days before but that's another story). The company had current registration and insurance but the insurance documentation I had for both truck and trailer were expired by 3 or 4 days at most. The officer allowed me to have our office email a digital copy as proof but I still got a fine for that and no lettering on the door and a license plate light not working on the trailer. It was a couple hundred bucks IIRC

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.