Looking For Employer

Discussion in 'Seek Employment' started by speedyk, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I have a perfect driving record going back over 10 years, no criminal record, no interest in substances including alcohol, able to drive long distances safely without issues (riding with me is boring, I just go),

I have run freight and passenger trains on grades, so I know what 17,000 tons feels like behind me on a hill.

I have taken the useful practice exams here and can pass the all CDL exams and endorsements in one day. Looking for a company that will give a modest amount of practical training, I believe I will learn best and fastest by doing the work. Training me will not take long, I like being alone so will be motivated.

I am interested in flatbed because it is more active. I like to climb and move heavy objects. I also like challenges, can drive through any weather that the truck is capable of, grew up driving in snow, took first driver test on an icy trooper parking lot. Have gear and attitude for all weather conditions.

I am looking for decent hometime (7/7, 14/7, even 21/7 if we're busy, I'm flexible if you are), no driver camera, no pointless corporate hassles. Give me the job, answer my questions if I have them and let me get on with it. Be a company that pays fairly and on time.

Currently in the southwest, but other areas are possible if everything else works.

Hope this post is okay with the forum, if not my apologies and please delete. I'm not interested in putting my info on one of those recruiting sites, too many data thefts going on, prefer a personal handshake arrangement with solid people.

ORD Trans, pattyj and Cottonmouth85 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    I'm sure with all the outfits around you could find a company that might fit what you're looking for, but that hometime schedule is somewhat difficult in this industry. Might be possible if you were willing to slip seat and lived close to the company terminal. Roehl, I believe had some schedule similar to what you're looking for. Schneider did as well, years ago, not sure about today. I don't really care enough anymore to keep up with that stuff. A local or regional job might suit you well also.

speedyk Thanks this.
  4. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Just in a few days you will be completely trained and know all there is to know. Plus your experience with 34 million pounds behind you is a plus. Yes sir you're on your way.

Puppage and MJ1657 Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Roehl Transport may have something like that with their flatbed division.

speedyk Thanks this.
  6. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    The job you're looking for will most likely pay 1099 and will never be advertised.

Some Mon 'n Pop even ol @Chinatown has never heard of. Haha

Beat the streets. It'll all come down to who you know.

speedyk and Canned Spam Thank this.
  7. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL

Chicago and white Volvos come to mind.

ORD Trans and speedyk Thank this.
  8. speedyk

Apr 8, 2015
    Chinatown, I thought I read that Roehl had cameras. They have a program out of PHX that I thought about trying if they don't.

Appreciate the pointful humor Gashauler. But I've dealt with "trained" and "certified" corporate-branded drivers out there trying to kill me or others, and I've talked to recipients of that "training" from various places and it varies widely in quality and applicability. I'd much rather learn by doing the actual work I'm going to do, learning from someone who has years of experience and can cut right to the point.

I've taught and certified transportation operators myself, classroom has uses but the tests aren't what the students will actually be doing. Upper management thinks everything can be solved with classroom, that's how they got their education. But we're not figuring out new ways to cheat people with spreadsheets, we're operating equipment and wrassling with physics.

You want to explain tie-downs with a pile of words or should we just go do a bunch of them until I get it? How many hours of class would prepare a driver to know of an impending mechanical issue by sound or feel?

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    So many companies are now using cameras I don't even try to keep up anymore. Even Waste Management now uses them.
    Try :
    Western Dairy Transport
    Jones Bros. Trucking

or as Cottonmouth85 suggested, those 1099 outfits on Craigslist.

10. speedyk

Apr 8, 2015
    I remember a thread here sometime back... :^)

Worked in and around Chicago a bit, that was enough.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Western Express van division runs western states and their flatbed runs 48 states. Probably make more money in flatbed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.