Looking for Feed Back about Using Load Board Only..

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by MTandReady, Jun 30, 2015.

1. MTandReady

MTandReady Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2015
    A little about myself. I'm a manager at a transportation company. Been managing and working with drivers from a company stand point (meaning company drivers) for about 10 years. Make pretty good money, so wanting to become a broker is not solely about the money. It's more about having something that you can say I created this, it's mine and I make a little bit as well. Plus I know from being in the industry is that 9 times out of 10 the drivers just want to be respected and treated fairly.

With that said..Looking to become a broker and just working off of the load board only. I realize the idea situation would be you have shipper that you receiver your loads from directly and get as much freight as you can with as many IC as you can tolerate and go from there and cut out middle man brokers. That's what I would do if I wanted to quit my job and go full time. I wouldn't have time to manage a commitment from a shipper giving me 20 loads a week and work full time job.

So overall my question is, after getting all setup with own brokerage authority, insurance, LLC cost, surety bond and everything, in your overall opinion do you think it's slightly profitable even if only $300-$400 a month to to just strictly work off of load boards? Would it even be worth it? If I were to approach it from this angle what am I not considering? Sure,,,, lower rates on load boards but besides that.... I guess I'm thinking I can work with a couple guys and give them 85% or 90% sometimes... Where could I go wrong with just keeping it simple..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. marineman227

marineman227 Dock Waterer

Jan 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    If I'm understanding you right i believe what you're talking about is illegal. Taking a load from another broker then brokering it out again is double brokering.

Sounds more like a dispatch service where you find loads on a board and assign them to trucks using your service but even with just a couple trucks it could get to be quite the hassle with a full time job. This isn't really the sort of business where you get to dip your toes in the water. Either jump in or stay out of the pool.

PSUMoose and Rocksma34 Thank this.
  4. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    For every load you can book, you will make $50-$300. Profit within a 10 minuet phone call. Just picture how much a broker can take in, in one day with very little overhead.
    Fact!

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    If it is so easy then why doesn't everyone do it and get rich? Why don't you broker and get rich off a few 10 minute phone calls a day? I know this will probably again get me labeled as a defender of the brokers but really nothing could be further from the truth. The cream always rises to the top. A good salesman invests a lot more than a few minutes on the phone into a good account. And deserves what they reap even if that is selling a $5,000 load to a truck for $1,000. Good for them. There's a lot of wannabes and pretenders on the brokerage side same as the trucking side. Really the kind that don't have a clue about the business just looked like an easy way for them to make money. Don't have the desire or heart for it just see $ signs. Too easy to get into the business, and the business ain't really rocket science, but even so not that easy to master either. Good ones make it look easy. Make it look like they're making bank on 10 minutes of phone calls. Truth of the matter is successful people put in twice the work and hours of others.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  6. afterburn25

afterburn25 Medium Load Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    this is absolutely correct. there is no such thing as easy money i been running my own trucking company for 3 years and what ive learned is to be successful in any business takes a lot of hard work. even if you are just a scammer takes a lot of work if your going to be successful at it. its no different for brokers sure they don't have the overhead that we do but they have to wait a lot longer to get paid. the grass always looks greener but ill tell you its not.

PSUMoose and double yellow Thank this.
  7. PSUMoose

PSUMoose Medium Load Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Tieton, WA
    The problem is the 30-40calls before you get the opportunity to quote a rate on a load, then the 20ish calls from drivers/companies wanting double the rate you had to drag out of the shipper. If all those calls took 2-5 minutes you are looking at 1.5-5 hours ($10-200/hr). Not counting the tracking of the drivers, then having to rebook the load the day it picks up because the carrier decided it wanted to take another load. And usually you end up covering it for less profit, just to make the customer happy.

Also on average I make about $75 per load, I could make more, but I try to be fair to my drivers.

Urziel and 6wheeler Thank this.
  8. Bumblebee1956

Bumblebee1956 Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Dear MTandReady, yes, that's double brokering and it's Illegal as of Sept 2013, MAP 21. But, you can legally be a load-finder. You can acquire carriers and gets loads from a load board, you invoicing the broker or shipper for the carrier, but the money goes straight to the carrier from the shipper or broker and you invoice the carrier for your fee after he gets paid. 15% if load comes from one of your shippers and 7% from a broker. You will need an MC# to get on the load boards. If you own your own truck you're good use that MC# of course, otherwise the carrier generally pays the loadboard fees and uses his MC# and you just manage loads for him. It helps him because he is driving and not hunting for loads. It just all depends on what you want to do. Your acting kinda like his load manager or something. But pulling loads from a load of brokers is Double-Brokering. Anyway, good luck. I myself am just starting out as an agent broker. I attended a great class and I agent for them but I can keep my own shippers when I leave. I like that idea. I'm just digging in now to get shippers to post loads.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.