Looking for info on Ontario spif laws. Seems like everyone has different views on this including mto

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Yves kanevil, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    I have been told by ministry of transport officers that my spring ride log trailer will expire in 2021 when it becomes 20 years old. I have also been told by fellow truckers that as of Jan 1st I need a permit to use my trailer. Is this true?

Why is it that my spring ride trailer will be obsolete if you can still buy trailers and trucks with springs.

I just looking for input on what the ministry of transport had been telling fellow drivers because from my personal experience every mto officer that I have asked is interpreting this law differently.
    Thanks. Yves

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Wow interesting, good thing 2021 is a while away.

4. Yves kanevil

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    Here in northern Ontario the mto just started this enforcement after the new year. Most local loggers are not too impressed. Some have even been told that there trailers are too old and have to be parked immediately

5. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    How old is your trailer? I just got a permit for the 5 axle trailer i pull. Its an 04 and its good till Jan of 2015. From the writing on the permit it sounds like the oldest trailer you can permit is 1995. Doesn't mean you can't run it just that thr weight will be reduced on the lifts.

6. Yves kanevil

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    My trailer is a 2001 5 axle timmins ddl logger

7. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Rereading my permit I would say you got good advice. If you get your permit (400$) the trailer will be good for full weight until approximately 2021. After that the lift axle weights will be reduced to approximately 4500 kgs. Now who knows what they'll decide between now and then. 5 years ago they said any trailer older than 2001 was done 15 years from the date of manufacture. I sold my 98 six axle 4 years ago cheap because of that rule the guy is still running it legally down the road today. Typical government

8. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    The spring ride is not the issue......you need a steering lift axle that self equalizes. It's around 13 grand to convert.
    And yes you now need a permit and 2020 is when you will loose the weight on your allowable.

But they are in talks to amend the SPIF laws, but it has been quiet so far. There are lots of issues with the SPIF axles and changes need to be made.

As far as spring ride.....they need to use load cells to equalize. They are way less reliable than air ride.
    Guys with spring and rubber block find their axles going up and down on their own all the time.

9. Yves kanevil

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    I cheques with the trailer manufacturer about installing a spif compliant steering axle on my trailer and the owner of timmins trailer said that for trailer to meet spif laws it has to be fully air ride with steering lift axle and new abs systems. They definitely need to rethink this approach. A spring ride trailer in an off road application in my opinion is much more stable, compliant and predictable that air ride. But what do i know. The eggheads in office who make up this $#!% must have been truckers before they were elected

10. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Go somewhere else. They have been doing spring and Chalmers. But like I said, they need load cells, like an on-board scale. And they aren't as reliable as air ride.
    But you'll have to decide if your trailers are in good enough shape to put that kinda money into them, or better to replace?
    Hopefully they come to a decision soon before more people buy the current stuff.

Did you see what they want you to have for self loader trucks now to get your max weight......twin steer tri drive. Yet I can't have a twin steer tandem-tandem dump and pull a pony???
    With a dump truck your allowable gross goes from 37,200KG down to 32,000KG if you hook a trailer to it.

You are right.....the people in the gov that make up these ridiculous laws have never been in a truck and have no idea how they work. It's truly a sad situation.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.