Looking for some decent brokers

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by magellan, Apr 7, 2016.

1. magellan

magellan Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2016
    Just breaking out with my own authority, I could use some good contacts if at all possible. It will be greatly appreciated.
    So far, looking at CH, Allen Lund, Members Edge....

I'm out of OK if anyone has information on direct shippers. Planning to run Midwest, Southeast, areas.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You have to make your own connections with the brokers. A good contact for you might be worthless to me and vice versa. These things just happen. I've had buddies pass contact info and even touched base with their contact but it never seems to pan out to anything. These things are all about being in the right place at the right time. If you focus on a select few lanes and run those exclusively they will come to you. Do a good job and it will happen just not overnight.

4. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    If you got a new MC number some brokers won't fool with you.
    Sign up as a broker carrier with landstar. their rates suck but they have quick pay and the card you get with quick pay has a decent discount at loves TS's. CH has quick pay and T chek also.

5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    What are you expecting to make per mile and how many miles do you plan to run per week?

magellan Thanks this.
  6. rottweiler

rottweiler Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Depending on where your at and what your hauling. Find a local business (several if you can) that you can haul out of town for. For me, this is my bread and butter. From there i have a list of brokers and other businesses i have a relationship with that help me get home. Check the load boards for stuff leaving your city. you can figure out what is shipping by watching trucks and reading descriptions on load boards. team up with a couple of other owner operators so you can walk through the door of those companies to offer them more than one truck. know your town and own your town. Good luck

7. rda2580

rda2580 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Lower Michigan
    Good advice for just joining! Welcome aboard!

d o g Thanks this.
  8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I don't understand the thinking behind these type of threads. It can take decades to build a good customer base, and yet total strangers expect you to hand that list over to your competition.

If you open up a pizza shop, would you call up papa John's and domino's and ask them for their customers?

9. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    I completely agree. The problem today with a lot of new folks starting their own company is nobody wants to do hard work and make connections. They just want everything handed to them and expect to be pulling the same loads as a person that has a been working with said shipper or broker for number of years.

10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    And i pretty much guarantee if you give out a couple contacts, they will go in and undercut you by 10 cpm and you will lose that customer.

11. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    It's the same kind of thinking that is behind the "fight for $15" crowd. Nobody wants to pay their dues anymore. Hurry up and start working at the top, skip the entry level and get the house of your dreams, no need for a starter home. Not saying this is OP's line of thinking, but it sure makes you wonder why this has become such a common question.

CaseyW Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.