Looking into new truck

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by w0lfpack91, Sep 3, 2015.

1. w0lfpack91

w0lfpack91 Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2015
    I am new to the comercial truck world but since i am looking to stay in for as long as possible i will be looking into buying my own truck to keep possibly the start of my own small fleet (but thats far away still) of all the trucks i have driven so far i still enjoyed my grandfathers pete 379 18-speed the best, it was the strongest pulling truck i ever drove. My grandfather kept modding that truck the twenty years he had it. By the time he retire it had triple interlock drive axles, he sunk 150k into the motor and a super sleeper and as well as the typical peterbilt visual modifications. Looking back at the truck i realize looking into a long term cereer i want a similer truck, so as i was looking in a newer i found the 389 so my question is what is the base price for a sleeper, a 18 speed manual with a apu and different purchasing options i can go with with this truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Not sure but a super sleeper,18 speed and triple locking power dividers is gonna be spendy:rolleyes:

4. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    Your at 250k min.

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  5. str8t10

str8t10 Medium Load Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Rochester,ny
    Call the closest pete dealer and have it spec'd out and see what they quote you. I was just looking the other day and some of the midrange models and they were 175 so it's gonna be expensive either way. I'm relatively new to commercial trucking but not the transportation industry. You better make sure you have some reliable freight sources lined up before you make the purchase

6. w0lfpack91

w0lfpack91 Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Naw sorry i dont need it statted exact. i was just explaining what he had, i mostly pull dry van and flatbed so just dual axles in rear will do. It will be a long term WIP for me i was a diesel mechanic before i got my CDL so i will be doing alot of the work on it mod wise so ill just build it up over time but to start out just a base truck with a decent factory sleeper, APU and 6x4 drive not like his old 8x3 i wont go near the weight to need the third but even just a 13speed or 10 speed will do but so long as its not an 8 the 8 in my freightliner is a pain on hills with a heavy load it bogs down so bad.

And sorry for the grammer of my first post. i asked my 10 year old little brother to type what i was saying hes not great in the english dept but i couldnt read it before he hit submit because i was driving

7. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
    I love my 8LL, blow the doors off people uphill, its a snail coming downhill, but I just fire the Jake's so everyone stuck behind me can enjoy them too

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  8. oicu812

oicu812 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I was pricing trucks this summer and was seeing 389's nicely equipped for 155k to 160k. Should be able to get something in that range.

9. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    If you want a big sleeper pete, and you're a mechanic look on truck paper. The good ones (pre-bs) are all over the place since they cant run Cali anymore.

Pennies on the dollar to what you'd get new.

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.