Looking to lease my truck on somewere to stay busy...with no eobr preferably...Advice?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by georgeandson, May 26, 2015.

1. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    I have over 8 years driving, clean record (knock on wood), Canada exp, twic, hazmat, crude oil super tanker experience, frac sand experience, crude oil trainer experience, off road and winter exp and a very capable truck but not California . My own plates and my own ifta and my own fuel card.
    I'm looking to go to work some were else other then Oil fields. I'm tired of the dust and away time.

Anybody have a good lead on a company to lease with? I don't care if its flat bed or refer or van or what ever. Just need to get working. I am willing to lease a trailer if need be. Also willing to get my own authority if some one can keep me busy...

I'm out of Portland Oregon and would like to stay around this side of the country so I can come home every few weeks.

Pm me if you don't wanna post for all to see....

Thanks.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    Reason for edit: Added loction prefrence
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. afterburn25

afterburn25 Medium Load Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    I was ready to send you my way till you said Portland freight is pretty dry in that area I need some owner operators and will help anyone to the path to having there own authority.

4. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Go to landstar and mercer and haul lots of double brokers freight,,spend $300 get your own authority,,you can haul rail boxes or get your own freight and haul for some brokers until you find shippers to haul for direct,
    Over the years I have had several shippers that I met hauling brokers freight and ended up hauling for them direct cutting out the broker,,most brokers will load any truck that calls,,many shippers get tired of crummy trucks that brokers send them and are always looking for good quality haulers.. that is except the mega shippers whose only concerns are the cheapest freight rate and you don't want their cheap freight any way.

5. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    Thanks for the try.
    I used to have my own authority back in 06 and was hauling containers. It was a disaster. I went bankrupt in record time. Lol

I knew less the. Half of nothing lol back then. Still managed to get my authority and a truck. Just couldn't get anything reasonable for work.

I have considered getting my own authority....again....and priced insurance and got quotes of 17-20k a year. That's just not something I'm ready to commit to unless I know we're my work will come from.

I looked into land star and
    I got approved for them years ago before the oil feild and just went to work oil instead. Now to go there they wanna leash me with an Eobr.
    Which I'm not to excited about ....
    I do follow those guys on the bco forum still.

I'm lookin into mercer now.
    I just need to get rolling and get moving and regroup. If it's what people say then I'll be here awhile.
    If not then it will be short lived.

As for the freight , I could care less if it's brokered 10 times as long as I'm making what I want to make.

Ain't worked since January. So things are getting tight :(

6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I'm at Roadrunner on paper logs however I *think* new o/o's signing on are at least strongly encouraged or forced to use the elog smart phone app. Get conflicting stories from various new owners over here that I talk to. One was a green guy from a mega carrier, semi clueless, they put him on elogs right away so that might have been a factor.

Anyway RR has an agent terminal right in Portland OR and up the road in Sumner WA is a full on RR terminal. Then Livermore CA and on down the way to LA, other agent terminals in the Bay Area and Central Valley. Various terminals and agent terminals all across the country to stretch the legs and get some variety and at the same time consistency compared to irregular route willy nilly dispatcher whim destinations.
    They will put new drivers on the trailer 'pool' which just means a $185 deduction per week for access to their trailer network, typically the idea is to roll into a terminal with a loaded trailer and drop hook into a preloaded trailer and keep rolling. Terminal has no freight? Call a RR agent broker to book a load out to a vicinity of another terminal.

7. KenworthGuyNH

KenworthGuyNH Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Central, NH

Mercer and Landstar are both EOBR for new hires now. He said he preferred paper.

Why do you insist on admitting to and promoting back solicitation as a viable business practice. It puts you on the same level as a "slimy" broker and destroys any remaining credibility.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  8. KenworthGuyNH

KenworthGuyNH Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Central, NH
    Let us know how Mercer pans out. Maybe try Farm2Fleet, or CRST Malone for flatbed....I am not 100% sure if they are still paper though. Jones, Admiral Merchants, and Sammons are good carriers too, although Sammons is pushing EOBRs too now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.