Losing throttle response

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by lciambotti1, Sep 2, 2016.

1. lciambotti1

lciambotti1 Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    OK. I am lost! about once a week my 05 Columbia (14L Detroit) will be pulling fine then if starts losing power. The check engine light comes on but when I let up on the throttle the light goes out. No codes. Sometimes shutting it off for awhile it seems to run fine again, or in this latest case it bogged down to about 20 mph, then suddenly picked up and ran fine the rest of the night. I am at a loss. I suspect its an electrical gremlin. Any thoughts would be great.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Might be the variable geometric turbo going bad st least the sensor.

4. lciambotti1

Mar 6, 2015
    In other words you are saying the turbo might be choking the engine. Any idea how to check? That's an expensive part just to throw the problem.

5. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Find out what the Code is, even though it is Inactive, it is still stored in the ECM.

thejackal Thanks this.
  6. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Yes code it. It ought to say. I had similar issue with my isx..turned out that .the sensor on top of the turbo went bad. I forget what it's called but it controls the vgt.

7. lciambotti1

Mar 6, 2015
    The bill says the following...Current code for VNT vanes not responding - could be from low air at start-up. Found actuator leaking. Tested CAC - ok. Dynoed truck - Pulls at full power and reaches full speed.
    I should have made them check the truck before they shut it off when I dropped it off. It came in acting up. But as I said before, when you let it sit awhile or overnight, it runs fine till the next episode.

8. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    most likely bad Vpod for turbo Control or vpod wiring make sure you replace leaking actuator

9. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    I had a truck with a similar problem, it was caused by the ECM failing. A simple but costly fix.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.