Lot Lizard Free Truck Stops?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by libertythor, Dec 25, 2008.

1. billsgirl

billsgirl Light Load Member

Thanks Received:
    The TA in Nashville right by the football stadium is nasty and so is the one in Kenly, NC. Anything near Atlanta and that one conglomeration of truck stops outside Atlanta where the parking lots all run together, I dont have the truck stop book with me but I think its off 85. Jackson?:biggrin_2552:Ga, and of course the two TA's in Ontario CA are a 24 hour episode of Cops live. You can sit in the truck and watch them climbing in trucks then back out 20 minutes later, only to go knock on some more doors. Just don't answer the door. If it was the cops, they would keep on knocking. Otherwise who else would you be expecting?

Red Hot Mess Thanks this.
  2. dancnoone

dancnoone <strong>"Village Idiot"</strong>

Thanks Received:
    Maybe Soon2Btrucking can offer you some insight to that line of thinking, if he notices the thread. I'll drop him a line, so he can weigh in.

His story (about hookers, law enforcement, and 911) is rather eye opening. Actually kinda scarey

billsgirl Thanks this.
  3. driver4015

driver4015 Medium Load Member

Thanks Received:
    What fun would it be to go to a truck stop and not get to see the LL'S line up for the first 50 yd dash? Then theirs the marathon truck parking event to shortly follow. Of course there's the c.b. rambo competion going on at all hours. just part of the fun!!

4. Markk9

Markk9 <strong>"On your mark"</strong>

Thanks Received:
    LL are there because they are getting business, period......Those TS that don't many walking around are paying to have security patrol the lot. Even on those lots you still have LL advertising on the radio.

Mark

5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Thanks Received:
    Easiest way to deal with them is the same way you deal with a pusher. JUST SAY NO! You don't have to be rude about it, but if you plainly show you are not interested, you {usually} won't be pursued.

6. Thumper

Thumper Medium Load Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont know why anyone would have to worry about this you cant them anymore.
    Its a sad thing really............ ahwell nm :biggrin_25515:
    Ive never had a problem with lizards are anything for that matter.
    Just use common since dont flash money and go where you fill you shouldnt be.
    If you got to unload in a bad part of town dont sleep there goto a truckstop sleep then drive in at dev time

7. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    ok Dance, i made it here.
    i for one would not worry about the LL's. just simply say no, or dont open your window/certains/doors...?
    so i thought!!!
    Jessup MD, off of 95, SCARY DIRTY/NASTY place. its a T/A, across the st from the county jail house.
    search for my post on my experience at this place.
    ill make it brief:
    one night i stayed there, had to call the 911 and let them no they would not stop knocking on my door. all 4 of them, same time, both sides of my truck. told 911 disp someone was trying to break in my truck and i was trapped inside.
    911 operator : Sir, all of our officers are busy and ill send one over when they are finished up.
    Me: Maybe you dont understand, im in my truck and someone is trying to break in!!! send the cops now, im at the T/A,
    911 Oper : Sir, 2nite is our ticket enforcement night, all of our officers are out writting thier summons for the night. when one---
    Me: Ma'am, im a truck driver regulated by the govt as to how many hour i can operate a day, im completley out of hours, im pulling out of the t/s and heading N on 95, heres the name of the truck company, and this is the truck # i am in, im leaving now!!!
    CLICK!!!
    on 95 n, get pulled over. s/t says to me to pull in to the rest area a few miles up the rd. we went inside, he told me they were looking for me, and he offered of to by a cup of coffee for me, i refused cause i was trying to sleep.
    officer suggested i never stay there again, as the police dont even like going to that place.... :biggrin_2551:

Dance, thats what your looking for i think...

8. dancnoone

dancnoone <strong>"Village Idiot"</strong>

Thanks Received:
    Exactly :D Thanks.

It goes a long way in proving, just ignoring them doesn't always work.

Jessup MD is a bad place, as is Birmingham, AL.

In Birmingham, they would have tried breaking into your sideboxes, or your trailer. I've passed the Pilot there, early in the morning. With many a trailer door on the back row, standing wide open.

9. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    One of the News shows (Dateline?) did a story on LL. One of the places they was talking about was Dallas Pike, Wheeling, WV area. The cops did a bust, 3 or 4 of them was under the age of 18, one was as young a 14, and out of all the ones they bust over half had HIV!

The underage ones where all runaways that was forced into this!

Beaverdam, OH had a big bust, one driver got arrested cause the LL he was with was 15 yrs old. They bust around 10 of them all but a few with HIV and one was pregnant.

10. ssbowles

ssbowles Heavy Load Member

Thanks Received:
    Another fairly useful deterrent is to park near the front, or at least under some good lighting. I guess the lizards are like gremlins or osmething, because the light usually keeps them away.:yes2557:
    I really haven't had a problem, although I would suggest being tactful when you do decline their services. Makes it nice to not wake up to empty tanks, flat tires, etc.