Lot of time on the road

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Slappywhite, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Slappywhite

Slappywhite Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Will I be gone a lot during the week just wondering if I will be away from my family alot

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are planning to be gone weeks. Month or more at a time.

Most companies ensure you are not dispatched past home so you keep that left door shut and the wheels turning. The companies have found that dispatching people towards home when loaded usually results in out of route and lost time as drivers stop by home. They WILL scheducle a home time period and you will roughly get there plus or minus a few days to get your three days home time or whatever.

The problem with families and trucking is this... you get home, you must have time to decompress and rest Families will not do that for you. By the time they get through with you and a stack of honey do work so to speak at home, you are probably ready to "Escape" back out.

For those with strong families or none at all such as myself, we are gone a year a time using winter time as a traditional period of rest and refit preparing for the coming spring.

Slappywhite Thanks this.
  4. David_Simpson

David_Simpson Medium Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    when i first started out, long haul, as it was known back then, i was sent to the west coast and mid west.

drivers from that part of the country were sent to the south east and north east!

kinda made it hard back then to get home weekly!

although i do not know the company you are deciding on, i think 2 to 3 weeks is average time away from home?

if you want to be home weekly, then i do believe you will not get the miles for a decent paycheck.

BUT, since i AM HOME daily, others here that are OTR, can be better to inform you.

what was in my past, may not be in your future.

x1Heavy and Slappywhite Thank this.
  5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Yes. You will get hometime but some companies consider 34 hours hometime enough and sent you back out for another month.

Slappywhite Thanks this.
  6. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    You should consolidate posts next time. Every company vis different. I'm home nearly every weekend.

Terry270 and Slappywhite Thank this.
  7. Slappywhite

Aug 28, 2016
    Thanks so much for the info

8. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Yeah you don't need 6 threads for your questions to be answered man.

Carhaulers benefits are some of the best in the business and a bunch of carhaulers are home weekends. First things first, where do you live?

9. Slappywhite

Aug 28, 2016
    West Virginia

10. Slappywhite

Aug 28, 2016
    Sounds Like a good job just want to make sure there's good training and good pay

11. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Oh yes any good company will train you well before they turn you loose in a $300k rig hauling 9-11 brand new cars. As far as you living in West Virginia I'll let someone else comment on which company would be a good fit for you to get you reasonable home time. I'm thinking that is a tougher area but I could be wrong

Slappywhite Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.