Lots of radio and amp issues

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by JeepRider, Nov 9, 2015.

1. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    If the preamp is overdriving your radio's front end, the radio may have some kind of built-in protection that reduces current to the front-end transistor. Preamps are noisy, so just leave it off unless you really need it to pull in a distant station.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    1 get rid of the amp for now Take it out of line and put it to the side for now.

2 replace the coax with something Like 15 feet or more of new fresh coax and have the ends put on them by someone else.

3 get an external watt meter and check the wattage, don't depend on the internal meter.

4 when you have it setup right, with a good swr then put the amp back line with a new jumper and test out everything.

I've dealt with this before. I have a short -under 11 feet - piece of coax going to an antenna and it was a nightmare, so someone suggested I replace it with at least 15 feet of new stuff with good ends which fixed the problems.

4. JeepRider

JeepRider Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2015
    I was thinking about that, because my antenna coax is only about 8 feet now, and it was working fine before it got the bad sections cut out of it. (But it wasnt waterproofed, so we had to take it out anyway) I was thinking of taking coax off of another cheap antenna i have, whick has i think more than 15 feet, and putting it on my wilson. Would that work? And about the preamp thing, the preamp worked really good before all this crap happened. Thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate it! :)

5. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No don't do that. get new coax, get a roll of coax seal (if you don't find any around you, order it on Amazon and put electrical tape over the connection) and put it together. It seems that it won't be a problem to get all of this fixed.

By the way Coax doesn't really go bad, other than the connections and a few inches from it if there is water seepage. If you set up the coax through the door and its pinched, then that's one area you need to look out for.

6. JeepRider

JeepRider Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2015
    I'm working on a wicked tight budget, but i'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the pointers!

7. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    All of this stuff is under $30, from the coax to the connectors to the coax sealer.

8. JeepRider

JeepRider Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Alright guys. I got it fixed. My coax on the wilson, like i said before, was short. Around i guess 8 feet. So i took coax off another antenna. This was 15 feet 5 inches of flawless coax. I checked it over before i soldered in place. After that, i got really good SWR's, all below 1.7 without tuning, but i am still going to tune antenna. I'm thinking about grabbing an inline watt meter too. Anyway, i get around 5 watts now. But my amp, i was talking to my dad and turned the kicker on, and he said i was louder, but my signal didn't go up at all. Any ideas? Thank you ,guys for the help. I greatly appreciate it! :)

9. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    You could have just been talking closer to the mic or something and sounded louder. If your signal didn't change, something is wrong with the amp I'm thinking.

10. JeepRider

JeepRider Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Is it possible i am overdriving it and causing it to not act right? My watt meter is a swr and watt combo. Has the little antenna on top of it. I was told these were not true watt meters, but more like a rough idea.

11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    It's nonlinear hence the change in audio. The radio and amp need to be looked at by a competent technician. There is no such thing as plug and play. It is more than likely that you are over driving the amplifier. Since it is a Class C amplifier most likely the waveform out of the transmitter needs to be reshaped so that the waveform out of the amplifier is proportional. Only a competent technician with the proper test equipment is capable of making those adjustments.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Reason for edit: tech
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.