Loving Averitt Great Miles

Discussion in 'Averitt' started by TROOPER to TRUCKER, Jun 11, 2015.

1. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Sorry about your throttle and cruise going down, I think overall it's just the auto issue though. I had an automatic ready mix truck that was also slow and went back to my Mack that was golden.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014

Nah, it's not. I saw the throttle settings on the laptop. It's up to the mechanic who sets it up/works on it. So with that said, it's kinda like the supply system in the military... Sometimes ya have to grease the skids.. LOL

TROOPER to TRUCKER Thanks this.
  4. postmandav

postmandav Medium Load Member

May 18, 2008
    south portland, maine
    Regarding the uniforms, do they have pants only our do they issue shorts as well?

5. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    You are issued 5 shirts which is a choice of polo or button up both short sleeves. 5 pair of pants and a parka jacket. Now I went online and got 5 pairs of shorts and no tuck shirts that drivers can wear. I got them in two orders as they are deducted from your check. The first uniforms issued is on them.

6. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Sounds like there's a lot of micro-managing going on over there. Would not be the place for me, but if it works for you, I'm happy for you.

7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    If someone wants to pay me good and treat me good I do not mind at all if I am provided uniforms for my on duty time.

8. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I'm not talking about uniforms. There's nothing wrong with an employer providing uniforms. I'm talking about being forced to cover tattoos, being clean shaven, having to explain yourself if you have to use the brakes, and getting phone calls "you will not like" for letting the truck roll past the governed speed. If this stuff has all come out in just a few posts, I'm sure there are many many more little nit-picky things they do to make sure their drivers are toeing the company line. I don't deal well with arbitrary rules and policies that serve no purpose other than making sure the worker bees know who is in charge.

But I'm glad you're happy there.

9. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    It's like any other BIG company and not just in this industry. Mandates and rules are/were put in place for a reason. Now whether or not we agree with them is up to you, but to work there you have to abide by them. I liken it to military service in some ways. (Very loosely of course)

Averitt management is not a bunch of bullies. Most of the FM's I've talked to wish even they didn't have to do some of the thing they do. As for the personal standards that is in place, I think those will loosen up some in the future as well. (No more clean shaven and I think tattoo's will be next to a certain degree)

But Averitt does not hide all this, they say it up front when you talk to a recruiter, so you know pretty much what you are getting into if you decide to hire on. So it's a choice that person makes to run for them or stay with them.

But like you said... Yes we know who is in charge, and for me at least, sometimes I'm glad someone else has to deal with "it" (insert situation here) instead of me. I've had enough of stress the last 24 years. But that's just my opinion.

10. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I wore a wool uniform for 20 year working the road. Ill take shorts and tuckless shirt any day!

chopper103in Thanks this.
  11. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Bluejeans for me, a shirt that tucks in along with my belt, & a pair of boots. I always took a pair of moccasins with me, sometimes I would wear them when in my truck.

TROOPER to TRUCKER Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.