Low DEF warning with 3/4 tank

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by .honeybadger., Jan 20, 2013.

1. .honeybadger.

.honeybadger. Road Train Member

Sep 30, 2012
    FL
    I'm in a 2012 T700 with 78k on the odometer, so still a new truck. I was making good time down I-20 yesterday morning when a glance at my gauges showed the red light on the DEF tank. Catch is that I had 5-8 of a tank. My dash computer switched over to saying Low DEF and my check engine lamp was on. I pulled into the Pilot in Rayville, LA and bought a jug of DEF. Put it in my tank and gave it a few minutes to settle. When I restarted my truck the gauge showed I now had 6/8 of a tank but now the red light was flashing at me. Dash computer and check engine lamp were still on. Any ideas what the issue could be? I'm stuck at the Pilot until KW in Monroe opens in the morning. Just wanted to know if anyone has been through this before and might know what kind of wait I might be in for at the dealership. I already lost the load I was under that was supposed to get me by my house and still had 1200 miles left on it.. I'm ready to run because I need to churn enough miles to be able to cover the fuel I'm sitting on and still make some kind of a paycheck. Just dreading being stuck at KW for who knows how long for warranty work.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    it will just be a sending unit
    you shouldnt be there long
    sorry you lost a load

skellr and .honeybadger. Thank this.
  4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I have this problem also. I just keep the def topped off and ignore it. :)

I'll get out fixed next weekend so I'm a week early for a helpful post.

5. Driver of the year

Driver of the year Medium Load Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tampa FL
    It's unbelievable how the Corruption of a group of People harm the Trucking Industry. A def product that it is not necesary and never should be in an Engine! Folks, you guys know haw many 2011 2012 2013 trucks are in the shop and losing money for this fraud? I have seen team drivers going to a International Dealer where the truck had 52,000 because of a regeneration problem? Thats why i love my truck with out that def BS!

Olson Diesel LLC and Ag2011 Thank this.
  6. DXN1EL

DXN1EL Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2012
    McAllen, TX
    Thanks to the EPA no more old stone age engines noise worse than a f"""ing lawnmower

7. DXN1EL

DXN1EL Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2012
    McAllen, TX
    what Engine do you have?

8. dirtyrabbit

dirtyrabbit Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2011
    KS
    It can be anything in the DEF system and that light will go off. The '12 T660 I'm in started this at 20K, and was low only one time. Finally it De-rated and got towed to the KW shop in Nashville. Turned out to be a sensor somewhere in the exhaust system. That was an early '12, so you may not have to much trouble getting in and out of your dealer. Yeah, OK, good luck there!

9. Sopeacefulrider1

Sopeacefulrider1 Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2015
    I'm in Sylvester Ga, I turned off my truck with a full tank of DEF and come back to turn the truck back on to find my DEF light flashing. What is the problem?
    Its a Kenworth T-700 only got 174013 miles.

10. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    If you have the PACCAR engine, it might be as simple as a software update you need. There's updates for the Dosing Control Unit, Common Rail system, and Aftertreatment System which recently came out.

baha Thanks this.
  11. bgmc4x4

bgmc4x4 Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2015

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.