Low Power 1986 DT466C 400k miles

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Airman89, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Airman89

Airman89 Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Did the internationals in '86 have turbos? I just don't understand why mine would run half as hot as yours. I feel like with the turbo and the eaton ten speed with a 2 speed differential, I should have no problem pulling up a hill while empty. I have a ton of haze coming from the blow by tube to the point where I originally thought I had some sort of an exhaust leak up close to the turbo or manifold. I'll have to look into the timing but everything else has been checked out.

2. Airman89

Jul 8, 2015
    I'm sorry for all of these basic questions but I'm learning quite a bit about diesels and commercial trucks still. I just got under the hood checking some more things out and I came across the air strainer on the air compressor. It wasn't even latched down, it was hanging there open and the filter looks caked up anyway. What exactly does this little air filter do? It's a bendix part no. 243009 incase you don't know what I'm talking about. Thanks

3. Airman89

Jul 8, 2015
    I know it sounds like a stupid question and I would assume that it only strains out contimainates from the air lines but there is a lot of oil and sludge in there as well as a nice oil path directly below it and in front of the lower part of the air compressor. I'm not sure what to make of this.

4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I never saw one in a truck without a turbo and would only thank dzinger missed that because you do not hear them like a Holset and they are tucked in pretty close.
    That series of engines was made for many years ,sizes, and applications. Early 70's? through today?. 360, 408, 414, & 466. They like to operate at about around 23-2700 RPM but many options and you said yours is a C which could be a little different.
    What would cause low exhaust temps? Air inlet and or exhaust restriction. Low compression. Lack of fuel. Timing.
    Just buy a new air compressor filter.

5. Dominick253

Dominick253 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2015
    Every dt466 I've driven would have the fuel pump mess up every week. Trying to merge on the expressway at 25 mph is no fun.

6. Dominick253

Dominick253 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2015
    Same here. Those engines are garbage. I've driven them in plow trucks and concrete trucks. They use more fuel, have less power, and break more than every other engine put together. Pure junk.

7. Airman89

Jul 8, 2015
    Turns out it had multiple small leaks in the turbo piping hoses. They all looked to be in great shape and no real air leak sound but I shut it off and heard a slight bit of air when I was looking under the hood. Put my hand on each of the hoses and they all were leaking a little air. I can tell there is a power increase, nothing drastic but it hold rpms better up hills now.

BoxCarKidd and bzinger Thank this.
  8. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Thanks for the update. I will look at the one I bought used about 18 years ago.

9. Norseman7789

Norseman7789 Bobtail Member

May 15, 2016
    Northern Va.
    Hi, I'm new on this board but I have owned and run a bunch of Dt466s.
    First off the Dt stands for Diesel Turbocharged,466 is cubic inches. Most of the C series motors were rated at 190-210 hp some higher but they were intercooled
    These are good motors within limits.
    If they get pushed hard the injection pumps starve a cylinder and burn a piston.
    For some reason tow truck and transport drivers like to idle these motors nonstop. I had a 4300 series rollback that the driver asked my why he was using 2-3 gallons of oil a day and had no power. The odometer said 170k the hour meter said 11k hours(the equivalent to 500,000 miles) put a fork in that motor it was due for an infra me.
    The valve cover should have a label telling you motor type,hp, pump setting etc.
    The Dt 466 had a smaller version the Dt360 it was 360 cid and max at 160hp.
    We had an IHC4900 4 car +1on the stinger that looked like yours It had a 300 hp Dt 530 that was fresh and turned up some with a Raodrsnger 8LL TRANS and that truck was geared for 65 mph it could barely get out of its own way.
    We used that truck for auction transport If it had been limited to running to Fredericksburg and back on 95 it would have been gone!
    But it was easy on fuel cheap to fix and worked every day.
    That's all I can remember now good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.