LTL gps question

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by 03Harley, Jan 29, 2016.

1. 03Harley

03Harley Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2016
    What is everyone using to get around.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    doing ltl food service we used Cadec elogs with built in satellite gps. pretty good truck gps, it got me around nyc without taking me down any wrong roads or low bridges

4. double_r

double_r Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Xata with built in CoPilot GPS for stop to stop guidance. CoPilot SUCKS. For the stops that I don't know, I use my Garmin Denzel.

5. 03Harley

03Harley Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2016
    I am a local driver, I am currently using google maps, and some times it doesn't know we're my stop is at. I would also like to know if there's an app were I can set way points.

6. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    It's called a map, coupled with directions that should be readily available from dispatch. Our company prints the directions on every dispatch sheet, and you can see our yard from the main road. One line driver thought he could just put it in his GPS and wing it...one of our guys had to go find him and lead him to the yard. :confused:

hunted and ajohnson Thank this.
  7. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Magellan Road 5370-T. Works pretty good although it occasionally makes "mistakes" like putting me down a no truck route. i was able to get this at pilot Kingman (if recall correctly?) with my rewards points when i did OTR.

NEVER RELY 100% ON A GPS UNIT.

You still need maps.

Also i would recommend definitely get a truck gps unit. i briefly used a car gps, until i lost it, with ok results, but risky.

8. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    I use the Rand McNally carrier atlas and the 520 Rand McNally GPS. There have been times where I'm making a left turn on to the address I'm going to and the GPS is telling me to countine straight for 30 miles and loop around @ come in the back way?

Its good for giving truck stop locations, weigh scales, repair locations and other information..

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  9. twk88

twk88 Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2014
    skowhegan,maine
    I use rand mcnally and google maps.put the address in GPS..then google maps and get an idea on where you are going with the map..cause GPS will sometimes try to route you longer than what you have to

10. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    You mean you have stops you don't know?! I'm SHOCKED, Driver!!! You need to call Tony!!! :) Lol

double_r Thanks this.
  11. GreenMonster9669

GreenMonster9669 Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    For city work I'd avoid Garmin. I have a Dezl and my co-driver has a Nuvi and while they're great for getting you across country, Garmin's city routing is poor. For example, I have a stop in Louisville that's down the road a mile off the exit. Piece of cake. But both Garmins (set for "quickest" route) want us to get off at the exit prior, take a service road., then turn onto a back street and come in from behind. And that's just one example. My experience is that CoPilot seems to do a better job in town.

03Harley Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.