LTL Start Times

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Sep 16, 2016.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Ladies and Gents.. Honest question if you work in the LTL field. Gonna keep this short and sweet. Does your workplace guarantee you a START time? By start time I mean a specific time in which you are required to clock in. Usually this time is constant... thus allowing some predictability in your life.

If you feel comfortable enough to name the company that you may work for... the better... if not, please give the following info with your first response:

1. Line or P&D
    2. Is your start time guaranteed cause you are on a bid?
    3. Is your start time seniority based? Are there people above or below you that have or don't have favorable schedule(s)?
    4. If you don't have a scheduled start time.. how does it work for you? Do you get a week schedule ahead of time. Do you get advance notice the night prior or even the day of? Please explain

Mike2633 and speedyk Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. z32sean

z32sean Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Middle Tennessee
    With FedEx freight most city drivers have bid start times that stay the same for the life of the bid, however, company policy states that the time can be changed one hour either way depending on business needs. Bids are seniority based. The bottom of the board may be on call and can run either city or line haul. There is a call block that they are called by everyday so these guys do not have a set schedule.
    Line haul is bid based also and seniority based. Start times depend on the run so senior guys might start after junior drivers. For example a 350 mile run may leave at 2200 and is taken by a more senior guy than the 275 mile run that leaves at 1830. There are also extra board drivers that do not have a set schedule. The top extra board drivers are usually pretty senior as they get offered the long runs first.

Mike2633, speedyk and road_runner Thank this.
  4. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    I work for SuperValu, which obviously isn't LTL but we have some similarities.

First, we bid a work schedule. Then we choose our runs that have assigned start times corresponding with the days we're working. We have an "AM" board with runs starting at midnight to 11:59, the majority of those start between midnight and 6. We also have a "PM" board with runs starting from noon to 23:59, the majority of those runs go from 14:00-20:00. Drivers can not bid from both boards, AM drivers must take AM runs and vice versa. We bid twice a year, but the company has the right to open the bid at any time providing they meet with the Union Committee before doing it.

Start times are virtually guaranteed. In the event of a combo or canceled run, the driver gets to choose, by seniority, any available work. Contractually the company can adjust your start time an hour each way (for instance a bid time of 3:00am can be changed to 2:00 or 4:00) one time per week, unless by mutual agreement.

Extra board drivers are on call and can work any shift at any time.

That's how things work in my barn, hope it helped.

5. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Dayton P&D drivers bid on start times, awarded by seniority of course. The most senior drivers generally want the early start times, which gives them the best trucker approximation of "banker's hours." A senior driver could bid on a later start time if he's not a morning person, but I've never seen it happen. Linehaul drivers bid on specific runs or open slots, and each one has a specific cut time (but most are 2100 at my barn). In both cases if the trailer isn't ready by the driver's start time or the run's cut time, the driver can clock in anyway.

6. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    Some additional information that crossed my mind after reading the other responses -

"AM" dispatches are generally completed by 16:00 on the previous day, so any adjustments or rebids are known at that time. "PM" dispatches are generally completed by 10:00am the same day.

We get paid for any and all waiting times if our loads aren't ready (this generally only happens on holidays, but there are exceptions). We don't "work the dock" at all, the warehouse selectors and loaders are also Union. Truck drivers drive at our place, that's it.

Mike2633 and speedyk Thank this.
  7. TahoeTrucker

TahoeTrucker Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Start time? I wish I had something even close to that. Not only do I not have a start time but I don't even know if I'll work. I could be off for an entire week and not know every day if I'm working. I can be called in from 5pm-1am and 4am-9am these are my on call hours that I can get a call and must show up.

I am bottom of the linehaul extra board.
    I work for Reddaway.
    I'm looking for a new job.

Bob Dobalina and speedyk Thank this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    P&D

Yes

No. That came with the run and was part of the bid.

There's one above me with a 6:30 start. He came off the run I have now that has an 8:00 start.

Unfavorable schedule is a relative term, since everyone is different.

Mike2633 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  9. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    I left last year but it may help

1. P&D
    2. No
    3. Yes
    4. Had to call in every morning before 6 to get that mornings start time. "On Call" at my terminal (NEMF) meant calling in for start times, not calling in to see if you were working. Job was easy and mgmt was great to work with which is sometimes rare with a Union shop but the unpredictability was just too much and I was loosing a lot of time with my kid and I wasn't going to let that happen.

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That is truly a lousy way to have to work.

11. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I work for Reddaway. I work out of a micro terminal. My supervisor used to text us our start time at 5 AM. Then he got replaced. I now get a phone call anywhere between 4 AM and 7 AM from our senior driver.

Each calls starts like this:. *Ring-ring*. Hey, this is Bob back at the terminal. I am calling cause you need a start time. So I need you to come in at ... Err. Umm. Let's see. Spokane driver broke down near Idaho. So he will be about two hours late... Flat tire and all. So let's plan on you being here at.. umm.... Come to think if it, Jimmy our dock worker is not feeling well, so I might have you come in earlier to help him out a bit. Also, I got you going to Big Ted's hardware store. He wants his freight at 8 AM sharp... Bahaha.. good ol' Ted, I used to fish with him before the arthritis in my wrist got to me. But he still needs his freight by 8, so let's have you come in at 7 AM today.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.