LTL vs Intermodal

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by 1Diesel, Jul 26, 2016.

1. 1Diesel

1Diesel Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Toronto
    If you had to chose between doing LTL runs between Toronto and Montreal vs container work from Toronto to the Port of Montreal which would you prefer?

Sure the LTL means you had have stops... deliveries (likely 4 per day) which means you will have to back up and wait at shippers/receivers.

At the Port of Montreal you would have to go thru the scanner and wait in line to drop/pick containers. No backing up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trkr3529

Trkr3529 Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Do you get paid for the stops?

4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I always found with LTL the deliveries especially went quickly. Rare for customers to say "do you have an appointment? come back later." No I have your 2 pallets you want them or shall I take them back to the yard and you can reschedule for 3 weeks from now? Most customers are reasonable. You will be an expert at backing in a short time.

5. 1Diesel

1Diesel Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Toronto
    Yes... $30 bucks per stop. I was wondering if people prefer to do LTL work as its more stop... wait... and go...

The thing with Port of Montreal is that it's fairly easy... park in the assigned spot to get loaded/unloaded (fairly quickly). The downside is going thru scanner... keying in info in the terminal computers before entry to the Tremont section of the port (which is the worst). Not to mention most of the workers don't like it when you speak in english... and telling the crane operator thru hand signals if he's picking up the right container and dropping it on the pins...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.