lumpy idle at 900rpm

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by 4play, May 30, 2015.

1. 4play

4play Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Edmonton
    Hello, I've got a 2012 780 with the D13, for about 3 months now I've had a strange idle problem at just 900rpm. 850 it's pretty smooth, 950 its pretty smooth. It's been to the dealership several times for this issue, they have replaced all the injectors and cups, turbo, preformed a compression and engine balance test, with no luck, but here is the kicker, it only does it when the engine is hot, when I fire it up on the morning it's fine, the hotter it gets the worse the viberation, feels like something is out of balance I can even hear the viberation in the engine through the intake sound. Volvo did find some air bubbles in the fuel and replaced a fitting on the front of the head and it did seem to help on a cold engine since before it vibrated hot and cold, but now it seems to do it once up to operating temp or hotter. Also I've noticed the truck has been running alot hotter then usual, always seems to be at 210, even idling with the hood open for 20 min sometimes it stays running hot, used a temp gun on the engine and all temps seem consistant. Also noticed that the cooling system seems to be running at a higher pressure then I could remember it running at. It's been pushing some coolant through the cap a little bit, but always running not maybe that happens? But anyway any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    210 does sound quite high.

What was the fitting they replaced?

4. benrab

benrab Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Quebec ,Canada
    Some question for you:
    What is the millage of your vehicule ?

What type of transmission do you have?

You say vibration, when you are on the driver seat do you feel a movement up and down come from the engine?

Is the engine is stable at 900 Rpm or doing some surge ?

Can you describe the sound you can heard through the intake (air filter) ? (clic-clic-clic or doum-doum-doum or tap-tap-tap) (hard to write synonym of a noise! )

Since that problem begin is still the same level or increasing with the time ?
    I know it's a lot of question for you but it's only for help me to figure out and give you my opinion base on my past.
    Ben

5. 4play

4play Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Edmonton
    It was the fuel fitting on the front of the head, engine has 770,000kms on it, the dash bounces up and down, when I look at the transmission and or put my hand on it by the rear it's an up and down kinda shake, it has an ishift. The idle is stable and it's like a doum doum noise, valves were set when the injectors were replaced. None of the repairs except the fuel fitting made any kinda difference, but all the fitting did was soften it when it's cold.

6. 4play

4play Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Edmonton
    And it seems to be holding at the the same intensity, a few times very few times the viberation has gone away for a split second then returned.

7. benrab

Apr 5, 2015
    Quebec ,Canada
    Question again:
    When the air compressor is pumping(building air pressure) is the noise and vibration is different ?
    Is the engine power output is normal ?
    Ben

8. 4play

4play Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Edmonton
    Yeah the viberation feels the same when it's pumping or not, engine seems to have decent power, I wouldn't say it's lacking power or boost.

9. benrab

Apr 5, 2015
    Quebec ,Canada
    I'm not sure but base on your answers and the description of the noise my opinion is:
    Excessive exhaust valve guide side play who generate excessive wear on exhaust valve seats.
    Let me know the final answer please
    Ben

10. 4play

4play Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Edmonton
    That is possible, prior to the viberation. Well I'm pretty sure it didn't before, but my EGR cooler had a really bad leak, truck was drinking close to a gallon a day worth of coolant . For probably close to a month, but I got that fixed along side the transmission was replaced. They also replaced the dpf.
    The oil sample was high in sodium and potassium, as well as Tin. But samples are normal now.it's just strange it's only lumpy at 900rpm.

11. benrab

Apr 5, 2015
    Quebec ,Canada
    When you say lumpy idle is than mean (surge a little bit ?)
    Sometime when something is wrong in the valve train it's more evident at a specific Rpm due to the valve overlap (intake and exhaust valves open at the same time) and intake flow turbulence.
    If you have a valve guide problem you cannot detect it by oil sample.
    The way that i know is: Check the shim thickness require for the exhaust valve adjustement.
    If you should use a 2.00 or 2.20 mm shim to have the correct exhaust valve lash i'm suspecting something wrong is coming.
    Also an egr valve who stay open a little bit can also generate a lumpy idle.
    Ben

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.