M.S. Carriers

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by BigE3, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Movie Star

Movie Star Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2013
    You got all the way to I-35!!! I rarely got west of I-55. They would always T-Call my load on the Memphis yard, then run me back east!!!!!

On the good side...God bless Michael S. Starnes. What a great guy to work for. Absolutely THE BEST!!! Mike saw an opportunity to
    cash in his chips before the economy tanked!!! He was only a few years off.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Robbin Rohner

Robbin Rohner Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Hi
    My only experience with trucking was about ten years ago, when I road along with an old long time trucker
    in the high desert N.E. of Los Angeles. He was picking up old tires from tire stores,
    and delivering them to that big Mitsubishi cement plant near Big Bear, where they were burned as fuel for the processing.
    I was just a helper who loaded the tires into the trailers.

My contribution to this topic has to do with the fact that I live on old Rt 66, in Hodge, South of Barstow,
    about 200 feet from the railroad tracks. I live in the old gray brick building the Hodge Brothers built in 1923.
    I moved in here in 1996, and have been watching the trains go by every day since. Many of the RR cars were trailer haulers.
    I have probably seen every carrier you guys have. There were a number of trailers whose logo incorporated an image of a truck
    and of course M.S. Carriers was one of the most frequent I would see back then.

Just this morning as I was doing my walk with the dogs, a train was passing by, and I thought again, how very rare it was to see an M.S. trailer nowadaze,
    and just a few moments later, there it was, all by it's lonely self. There used to be many, all in a row.

Ok, no advertising is allowed, but I'm not selling anything. If you search my name on youtube, you will find a couple of my videos.

Robbin Rohner

scottied67 Thanks this.
  4. desperado75

desperado75 Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2012
    allentown,pa
    DTI thats who i started out with too lol

5. desperado75

Nov 25, 2012
    allentown,pa
    nobody they just went under the same year ms got bought out..

6. desperado75

Nov 25, 2012
    allentown,pa
    for any old ms drivers interested they have a group on facebook called "I WORKED FOR MS CARRIERS"

7. CDL1968

CDL1968 Medium Load Member

Sep 27, 2012
    USA
    I was a Movie Star 96-99 working Sears in Wilkes-Barre, PA then I bought a truck in 99 and stay with them till the bitter end in 2002. They were the best. I miss those cassette tapes Mike use to make and send to house every quarter with all the company and industry news.

desperado75 Thanks this.
  8. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    I worked for MS in 1993 and 1994. I wasn't that crazy about them . I spent much of my time on the east coast and some nyc. Overnight freight all week. 3-4 hours of sleep per night. Traffic and fatigue. Then on the weekend I would get the 500 mile load for all weekend. They would pay for a hotel on the weekend and give u $25 layover. That seemed ok til you realized u make a lot more $ if they would just run u on the weekend. Short freight was their specialty. Not bashing MS. Just wasn't my kinda trucking. Did meet a lot of decent drivers there. I knew a lot of drivers cause the terminals were full of them on the weekend. I do realize a lot of drivers liked them. I liked to run west with longer haul. Went to Crete and ran good for a lot of years but now they do a lot more short loads.

desperado75 Thanks this.
  9. moonraker01

moonraker01 Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2013
    N.O. LA.
    I drove for M.S. Carriers back @ 99-2000. I loved it!!! Had they still been around wud not hesitate to go back. Wud have gone back & got 1 of those Classics they had in L/P(a blue one..LOL!!!). I ran SE regional when I was there & was even offered a trainer's position but turned it down cause it was around the time my kid was really young & I enjoyed my weekends home. I left when they decided to change SE regional to "Memphis Regional" & tried to run me from Laredo to Indianapollis then to Atlanta then back home. I cud have stayed linehaul to be doing all that!!! Anyway, as I said, I really liked it there and HATED when they sold out to Swift. Never had a desire to go to Swift, even when I wanted flatbed experience & knew they had flats. M.S. Carriers even had a dedicated flatbed run I wanted to get on but they said I needed to live near Memphis.(Bummer!!) But all in all, I enjoyed being a "Movie Star"!!!! :biggrin_25521::biggrin_25520:

desperado75 Thanks this.
  10. wormyone

wormyone Bobtail Member

I teamed with hubby after we graduated MS Academy, we got on Wing Doors dedicated account from Greenville Tx. Loved it! Great miles, and our DM, Jason was the best! Our truck # was 18559. Miss it bad! :(

11. beerwolfhlc

beerwolfhlc Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2013
    BigE3, dont know if you still get on this board, but I feel the same way!! I'd probably still be there if it wasnt for that #### merger!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.