Macropoint - $250 Fine

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Singh115, Aug 8, 2016.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Exactly rc. We are in the service industry. It's just amazing how many can't think that.

RedForeman, Hurst and rollin coal Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    So where do you draw the line? You don't seem to have any problems with them tracking your (not the load's) every move via your cell phone...so what else would you allow? Access to your ELD? Perhaps a driver cam? After all, they have an interest in making sure you're doing your job in a professional manner! Maybe they ought to hold your hand as you shower...scrub your backside even...because you're representing them in front of their customers, and it's in their best interest to ensure their customers can't smell you 30 minutes before you arrive. After all, you're in the service industry, so how deep are you willing to let them go while you're bent over grabbing your ankles?

You can track your load. I have no objections there, because it is your load. I am not yours, therefore you will not track me.

Oxbow, TripleSix, Big_D409 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    For crying out loud it's a simple load tracking app. Not a big deal. No-one wants to watch you wash your rear end. No-one cares where you live. It's a point A to B tracking app. I draw the line when I am delivered I reply with a text "stop" and it is done. Some customers have a real need to know. If you're not going to give them what they want somebody else will. Pretty simple clear cut business.

5. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    All ya gotta do is turn it off when you ate done with the load. I get where you are coming from being local, and not wanting to be tracked once you park the truck. but that's really not what they are aiming to accomplish. What they are looking to accomplish is a very cheap, practical and easy way to track their load. A cell phone app is much cheaper than a device that goes in or on the trailer with the load. When you park the truck at your house for the night just turn it off. Easy peasy.

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    No, it ISN'T a load tracking app. It is a DRIVER tracking app. I have no want nor do I have any need to be tracked like that. If they want to track the load, slip a GPS tracking device in with the load. Most of the trailers I pull have tracking devices on them, which tracks the freight on the wagon. The shipper, receiver, broker, or even the carrier I've got my truck contracted to...none of them have any reason to track my personal movements, therefore I will not allow it.

If you need to track the load, buy what you need and have it shipped with the freight, and you can track it all you like. You aren't tracking me, though.

Singh115 Thanks this.
  7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

For me at least,.. with ATS it depends on who I am booking the load with. A couple of the guys know me and as long as I report in, they are fine with me keeping Macropoint turned off.

I think the ones that make me turn it on are newer guys. The reason they give me is that they say their hands are tied and it comes from higher up that they require me to use it.

I was hesitant at first. I didnt like the idea of being tracked.

But as stated,.. its a service we provide. I turn it off when I unload. Unless you are doing something you dont want to be known,.. there really shouldnt be any issues.

Hurst

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    spyder7723 Thanks this.
  8. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Basically what you are saying is you would force the customer to spend hundreds of dollars on a gps tracking device plus the cost getting it shipped back and the pain of getting their customer to ship it back, versus 2 bucks on a smart phone app that can be removed in moments.

If i was the customer I'd find a different carrier or broker that would only use carriers that utilized this cheap easy method.

This is a service industry folks. Offer the service the customer wants or they will find someone who does, plain and simple.

9. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    IF You (A motor carrier) CANNOT be trusted......Assuming the reason why this Macropoint was started, Then you Don't Move my freight, SIMPLE AS THAT, There's no Debate here.

I'm with Pedigree Bulldog, You want your Shipment Tracked? My Dispatcher is Paid to Inform YOU (The Borker/customer) Daily Where the Shipment is in Transit.

See, This all started when you Hire Riff Raff and Trailer Trash Individuals to Move your Freight, Issues Occur,Including theft.

BNSF Logistics, (Yeah that Subpar logistics division of the National Railroad, Making the True BNSF look bad) Tried that with us a few years Back.......

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I don't think with some customers this started because of riff raff carriers. Talking about actual customers here (not brokers) with a production line and tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to lose every minute that line is down due to a failure in the supply chain. Can you guys understand how a production manager might be interested to track you and his load via macro point in that given scenario?

scottlav46 Thanks this.
  11. Broke_and_Hungry

Broke_and_Hungry Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't have a dog in this hunt, and have never used MP, but could there be significant ramifications to this?

Let's say a drunk pulls pulls out in front of you, can enforcement then access the MP information, find that you were in violation 6 hours prior to the accident and use it against you? Could an attorney do the same during a civil and/or criminal trial some time later? Along the same lines, in the event of a compliance review, could DOT use it against you in the HOS Basic? Accident Basic? I have never been a fan of personal tracking.

Or am I all wet?

Big_D409 and Singh115 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.