Macropoint - $250 Fine

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Singh115, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Crazy Alex

Crazy Alex Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Here n there
    And where did you get this info? ...about how the app works

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    Some of you are like talking to a box of rocks. We understand that YOU or your drivers do not want to be tracked, but just like tarping or having a load delivered on time or having reefer at certain temp. If they tell you in the confirmation that it is a pre-requisite that you use it, then use the #### thing. If you don't want to be tracked then don't agree to the terms. All of that should be worked out before taking the load. Once you agree to the terms then abide by the terms. Pretty cut and dry if you ask me.
    Now if it wasn't agreed to from the beginning then you have to make the decision weather or not you want to provide this service or not, Knowing that you may loose this customer or broker if the service is refused. Most of our really good customers don't care for excuses on why you can't provide them with a requested service. (As long as it's legal). You have to give them a reason to use you and a reason to continue to use you. We won't haul it for cheap so that only leaves offering them outstanding service that others ##### and whine about.
    So for all of you #####ing and whining about providing a service, keep it up. It good for business.
    Peace out!

Ruthless, rollin coal and spyder7723 Thank this.
  4. spax

spax Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    I'm as against being tracked as anybody but I've had a broker have me use macropoint and it wasn't really that big of a deal. I just called the number on the text that was sent to me to remove tracking as I was sitting at the receiver getting unloaded. I think their customer (wally world) requires it according to the broker. The loads pay good though and the brokerage is good to work with and good people, so I say whatever. There are plenty of issues to fight and work around in trucking and a broker requiring macropoint is way down my priority list of give a darns.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A app to load and go. Lovely.

Soon have a app to whistle up a robot truck to load and go drive it for you to delivery.... /snark

6. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    If you go to their website and read the details its all there (including how they share your location information with multiple 3rd parties -- not just your customer).

Singh115 and spyder7723 Thank this.
  7. Crazy Alex

Dec 1, 2012
    Here n there
    Their explanation on how the app works is very vague.I hope you are mistaking,or just mixing this up with CSI TV drama.

As I see it:
    You download Micropoint App to your phone and it uses your device's capability to locate u.
    If you disable Location Services on the device,the app can't figure out where you are...

IMG_9839-2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  8. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Turning off location services means the app won't have access to your location. However, by using the app (or replying to the text messages), you agree to have your wireless carrier share your location with macropoint. This is why it can work even with obsolete flip phones...

As long as your phone is on & is talking to cell towers, they will have some location info (though if they are relying on info from the wireless carrier, it is not nearly as accurate and may not be timely)

Singh115 Thanks this.
  9. Crazy Alex

Dec 1, 2012
    Here n there
    Quote from their website:
    "This cloud-based SaaS solution works on any cell phone, with existing in-cab ELD/GPS and trailer tracking devices, rail car providers, and other modes to provide real-time location monitoring and tracking"
    In other words,they are using already existent customer hardware to get the geo location.
    As you said ,geo location info from wireless provider would be very inaccurate and costly,doubtfully the soft developers would go that way.

But will know sooner or later ))

10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Like I said, if they want to track their freight or the company's trailer, that's fine. I don't need to be personally tracked, which is the only thing tracking my phone will accomplish. As a local driver, I am not necessarily with the load, as I may have stopped off to have dinner with the wife, pick up hay in the field, or run to town in the pickup after getting to the house. Or I may have grabbed the load and dropped it for another driver to run. None of that has anything to do with the movement of their freight, and is therefore an unnecessary intrusion into my personal business. Tracking me personally is NEVER Ok, and will not be tolerated under any circumstance. Some things are just worth a hell of a lot more than what these nosy brokers are willing to pay...which sure ain't enough for me to willingly go along with being personally tracked. Like I said, I have no issue with a tracking device placed in with the load. As a power-only company, I have no problem with the trailer owner tracking the location of their trailer. There is NEVER a valid reason for a broker or customer to demand I allow my personal movements be tracked by them through my phone.

11. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    Sounds very simple to me, if you don't want to be tracked by MP then don't accept the load that requires you to be tracked by MP. If you want that load and it requires it then abide by the terms or negotiate it out of the terms.
    If you are not the one that is in a position to negotiate those terms then your issue should be with your company and not the broker.

spyder7723 and DUNE-T Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.