Made stupid mistake. Need help.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jmcdaniel05, Sep 30, 2016.

1. jmcdaniel05

jmcdaniel05 Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2015
    I pulled out empty trailer yesterday and hooked back up to loaded trailer to back into its place but just did tug test and no visual ck. of lock on 5th wheel which i always check sometimes twice but for some reason i forgot this time. Piulling trailer up to piosition to back in and tlr. Fell off back of truck. Tlr was dine and luckily air lines somehow popped off without breaking but electrical line broke off the end and pulled prongs out of end attached to truck. Anyway i put it all back together tlr end plug had color labels for wires and i matched all those up but truck end plug didnt have the color labels and i just matched up by their position but it was same as tlr end. Anyway lights all work fine but turn signals on tlr are reversed. Can anyone tell me how to fix it or link me to some kind ofwiring diagram?

G13Tomcat and tinytim Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    At least he fixed it, or attempted to anyway.

That's more than some so-called "drivers" would do.

G13Tomcat, MJ1657, dca and 19 others Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    To err is human, but to hide the mistake or blame someone else shows management potential.

snowlauncher, dca, Chewy352 and 29 others Thank this.
  7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I'm not sure if I ever brought this up, but a few years before I retired I was on I-81 after delivering to Hazel Pa. I was stopped by a Highway patrolman and told my trailer turn lights were crossed and he had noted it. Turns out a driver had tried to fix an electrical issue and got the wires reversed. All I did was engage my 4ways to check the lights and never looked. The cop was laughing about it. I took that empty to our drop yard near Palmyra and got another empty. I still laugh to this day about that.

8. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    JCMcD, good job putting the cable back together. Responsible guys like you give truckers a good name.

9. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I've gotten into the habit of checking the left and right signals individually. I usually hook to my trailer before dawn, so before I pull away from the dock, I flip left and right while watching for the reflection of the lights against the building.

10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    As a general rule if I saw something wrong and it was within my abilities I fixed the issue. I just never really had a lot of tools with me. I guess it makes me a bad person but I never thought it was my job to fix things.

11. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Sometimes it's a matter of getting back on the road or waiting hours on end for a service! I don't expect my driver's to repair an engine harness but I like when they can replace a light bulb. Unfortunately, some of the newer kids don't even want to replace a light bulb!

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.