Major forest fire in Fort Mac

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by AModelCat, May 1, 2016.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    No the fire's long gone. This is a seperate fire.

orcen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Water trucks coming in to assist. Counted over a dozen from 5 different companies.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  4. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I hope not. While the roof was burning I thought I could see 1 apartment in a middle floor fully engulfed.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Decided I'd rather sleep in my own bed than in a cramped camp room. I will say that the food was amazing though.

tucker Thanks this.
  6. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    Only thing I liked about camp was the food....

7. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Well its been nearly 4 months since the fire. Figured I'd post an update. Things are pretty much back to normal in my world. Amazingly only 2 of my co-workers lost their homes. Cleanup is well underway and the majority of businesses are back up and running. Sounds like some residents with untouched homes in Abasand and Beacon Hill can start returning home this week. I haven't gone into any of the burnt areas yet except the new hotel being built (for the 3rd time now) next to the now leveled Super 8. Town council was proactive and announced a rent freeze bylaw (to prevent price gouging). Unfortunately though, a lot of renters belong to the "shadow population" and its rumoured that their rents have gone up significantly.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/...ghbourhoods-abasand-and-beacon-hill-1.3735611

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Reason for edit: Fixed horrible grammer and added link.
    magoo68, G13Tomcat, Terry270 and 3 others Thank this.
  8. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I noticed tonight that the security checkpoint into Beacon Hill was gone so I took a rip in there up to the 2nd security checkpoint. Seeing pictures is one thing but seeing it for the first time..... Its saddening to think that just 4 months ago that was a nice subdivision.

Terry270 Thanks this.
  9. kevin7898

kevin7898 Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Fort McMurray, AB
    I hear ya there i was up a few weeks ago and the damage is hard to see in person. They are now allowing residents to go into beacon hill to start cleaning. And as far as im concerned waterways needs to be cleaned up and turned into a park. With the land owners being fairly compensated. Perfect opportunity to get proper flood mitigation in place

10. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I drove down past Waterways on Draper Rd. I think. There an apartment complex still standing and the Legion. Not much else. I haven't gone up to Abasand yet. I seem to get all the service calls up North rather than in town.

11. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Well its been just over a year now. Was out in Waterways this morning and quite a few new houses are going up. Some are already close to completion. Dozens of new homes have popped up all over the south end of Abasand and there is a lot of progress in Beacon Hill as well. Saprae Creek is seeing a lot of activity as well. Last I heard between 30 and 40 families have moved into their new homes. Still have a ways to go yet but its a start :)

magoo68, uncleal13 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.