Make Lift Gate Familiarization Your Priority

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Hey guys real quick. Today was the first time in a very long time I've had to use a lift gate. There's a couple things that I should mention about lift gates that might help you all out.

First thing if you have a lift gate truck or trailer before you leave the yard in the morning or night when ever either way make sure your lift gate works it's as important as everything else. You would hate to get to your stop and the lift gate doesn't work and now you can't unload and the reciever will be looking at you funny.

All standing around shaking there head while you fiddle with a broken lift gate and then the boss is all angry because you can't get unloaded and the reciever is telling his/her boss that they should consider finding another outfit to go with. All those things I mentioned are terrible things don't let them happen to you or me it goes for everyone!

So to avoid lift gate troubles what you do and I did this, this morning and it made me look really SMRT I mean uh...SMART smart and that's before I left I made sure the lift gate went up, down and in and out. Sure enough I was not familiar with its operation so one of our friendly mechanics showed me how it worked and he even showed me some tricks and some other stuff I would have never know.

So sure enough when I got to the stop and the lift gate didn't go down I took off the control box cover and it had a lose fuse. I put that fuse back in and the thing went up down and in and out just fine.
    image.jpg
    So bottom line make sure lift gates work before you leave the yard. I told the mechanic at our warehouse that where I used to work had lift gates and before you left in the morning you were supposed to check its operation. He said "That's a really good idea."

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Your gate and trailer look a little rusty, glad I don't have to deal with that down here in the SW.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  4. SLCTrucker

SLCTrucker Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT
    Yeah I pull lifts all the time, rea pain when it quits working while unloading.....lol

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  5. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    It's just the Pitts isn't it? That ones a 2008 we only have that one lift gate in the division.

6. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    I spent half of my career using liftgates. The very first job I ever had was using a Tuck Under liftgate delivering flooring in a straight truck 10 wheeler 26 years ago. Did P&D and resi's for 5 years using the Tuck Under Liftgate, which was rated at about 4k max. I HATED those Tuck Unders. I would constantly have to deliver 16 by 16 ceramic tile pallets weighing over 4k and it made that liftgate bounce like pool diving board. The motor and hydraulics were constantly pushed to the maxx and I would carry bottles of Transmission Fuid to replace the hydraulic fluids whenever it leaked. It didn't have any skid stoppers on it either, so you had to be REAL careful with the heavy pallets, and learn how to maneuver with the pallet jack. Learned real quickly that if you ever feel that you're not in control of your pallet, DROP IT immediately so it doesn't rollover.

Railtrac liftgates are WAY better. It handles more weight, has chains on them for stability, and should be the standard for ALL Liftgate deliveries, in my opion. It makes HEAVY deliveries a lot easier and has plenty of room to maneuver pallets on the liftgate. Just make your delivery, put your pallet jack back in the trailer, and put that block of wood underneath (or chock and strap if you prefer). Just make sure you close the rear trailer door and NOT use the Liftgate as a door itself (seen this WAY too many times on the road).

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  7. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Just thinking about the video floating around ! Where the guy runs the pallet jack off the lift gate.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  8. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    After switching from a company that only uses tuck-unders to one that only uses rail gates, I have to agree with you, with one caveat; the one advantage that tuck-unders do have is not having to lower anything every time you bump a dock.

Mike2633 and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  9. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Yeah I agree. Almost forgot about that..lol, but if I had a choice between tuck or rail, without a doubt, 100% rail ALL the time.

Tuck unders also has disadvantages as well, especially if the ground isn't leveled when you back into a dock. Must of scraped off 2 inches off the liftgate frame from grinding it on the ground a couple times. Not to mention it can be used as a dock plate if the customer doesn't have one.

Mike2633 and JReding Thank this.
  10. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I always hated that. Had to get back in the truck, pull forward, unfold the gate, and get back in position. Then do the same thing to tuck it back away.

Sho Nuff and Mike2633 Thank this.
  11. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    @JReding & @Sho Nuff ,
    At the beer company we had a straight truck with a tuck under, didn't much care for the tuck under. Most of the other trailers were rail. If I had a company we would have 100% rail lift gates and why is it that the LTL companies seem to go with the tuck unders. Personally I think the rail style is safer and better, those tuck unders are rickety and dangerous. You get an electric pallet jack and a tuck under lift gate your asking for trouble. Almost took a spill off the beer companies straight truck with an electric pallet jack and tuck under lift gate.

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.