Manual Vs. Autoshift Transmission

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by drivenmecrazy, Nov 27, 2008.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I'm on my 2nd 10 spd auto shift, the company I work for, 9 of 11 company trucks are Macks with Eaton/Fuller 10 spd Autoshifts. The first one I had, 978,000 when we got rid of the truck, I was the only driver, clutch was replaced at 670,000 only because the clutch brake was totally gone, clutch still had 100,000 miles of use left on it.

The older 10 spd Autoshifts were essentially a manual controlled by the computer (which is not totally true since you still have the ability to manually shift them), the newer one's are not. My '09 Mack CXU, 10 spd Autoshift can not easily be converted, the old one could be done for about $300.00, this new one would require about $1,000 in parts.

As for mileage, compareable, my '09 Mack (MP8, DPF, 10 spd Autoshift, 3.70 gears, 445 hp) goverened # 67 mph, I can run Denver to Alb. and back, 940 miles rnd trip, average 6.9 mpg (7.8 empty, 6.5 loaded) and still have 30 to 40 gal. of diesel left in each tank afterwards (combined 234 gals. useable cap.). Recently drove a manual version of my truck (loaner from the dealer) for the same run, identical truck to mine except a manual, avg. 6.4 mpg rnd trip.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Hmm, drove one Autoshift for 8.5 yrs, 978,000 miles in the Mtn's of Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, all 4 seasons, never had a single problem in the winter. Upshifts, downshifts, etc., took me about 6 months to figure out all it's quirks. Company has 8 other autoshifts, the only problems in the winter are the trucks without a power divder have more problems than the trucks with power dividers.

learn to double upshift and you won't have hard upshifts

9 yrs, over 1 million miles between two Autoshift trucks, never had a single problem you've described

quirk of the tranny, if you try to up or downshift a manual with the wrong engine speed it'll argue with you also, you just have an easier chance to break it.

Hmmm, the autoshift truck we traded in last fall had 978,000 miles, 670,000 on the clutch when it was replaced, and even then it was replaced because the clutch brake was totally gone and they didn't want to tear it apart twice. Otherwise, in the first 3 yrs (it was a 2000 Mack and we were the only owners) we replaced the shift motors every 6 mos. (but that in the end turned out to be an Eaton/Fuller issue, they had the lowest bidder build the parts), after 2003 we never replaced a shift motor until spring of 2008, and they were totally worn out when replaced. Sounds like your just too hard on the truck, or not willing to learn the quirks of an autoshift.

Took me all of 1 month to fully learn the autoshift, and maybe 5 to 6 mos. to get all the quirks down. After that, never a problem for 978,000 miles.

Big Duker and MackDaddyMark Thank this.
  4. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    All of our concrete mixers have 6 speed autos in em. We dont have any problems with them and they get beat to. They do have quirks though, sometimes it'll wind-er up to about 2500 rpm before itll shift, but I like it but all I do is city driving, and a couple 20, 30 miles trips here an there. Only thing I dont like is climbing hills, have to put it in manual sometimes to keep it from wanting to shift back up when I know it needs to hold the gear its in. Also the jake works great on the autos we have, ours drop two hears as soon as you let off the gas an keeps dropping hardly have to use the brakes.

Big Duker and Jim Bob Thank this.
  5. Chuk510

Chuk510 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Kamloops B.C.
    I hope it dosnt burn any gas

6. Chuk510

Chuk510 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Kamloops B.C.
    I have had most of the trannys out there even a super 10 the autoshift is a pain cause it does what it wants and the ultra shift is just like driving a car but they both have manual mode so you dont have to worry about the winter driving and it screwing you up. I still prefer the 13 or 18 manual but the ultra shift is great in stop and go traffic and easier on the body when you have lots of mountains to climb. basically it all boils down to preference to each his own. as for fuel millage depends on how good you are with a manual could go either way

7. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    my autoshift spends more time in manual mode than auto mode, I prefer to think the shifts, whenever possible I double upshift.

8. kkburr73

kkburr73 Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    I just learned how to drive a 10 speed manual. I took my state test with a 10 speed manual. The company that im going to work for has the 10 speed auto's.. I like the 10 speed manual. I feel I would have more control of my rig in the hills. I herd that the autos have problems shifting up and down hills. I guess I wont know till next week about the autos, so my opinion dont count at this point. lol

kkburrr73

9. nwokman

nwokman Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2009
    OK
    You mention quirks a few times. I recently purchased an autoshift. How do I go about learning these quirks?

10. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Just drive it enough and you'll find the quirks. All day driving around town mine shifts different alot sometimes it holds a gear longer than it should an sometimes it doesnt stay in a lower gear when need be. But I love it for city driving all day.

11. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    You will figure it out quick enough. Things like shifting perfect 99% of the time and then hanging in say 9th up to 2000 rpms. Or not downshifting the same every time. Not big problems, but you can get a little lazy and not notice it until you have to go down a couple of gears up a hill when it should have done it for you. The one I have been driving will start to down shift and occasionally it will go back into 10th and you will be at about 1100 on a steep grade. I will just flip into manual and go ahead and shift when I want to. But overall they are very reliable. At least that has been my experience. Also drive an FLD with straight 10. Find myself forgetting to downshift for 1st hour or so. No biggie.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.