Manual Vs. Autoshift Transmission

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by drivenmecrazy, Nov 27, 2008.

1. makhanirafiq

makhanirafiq Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2010
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1988pete379

1988pete379 Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    North East TX
    Maybe in his eyes it is. I am sorta like Ray Charles really can not see the light of it .:biggrin_25521:

4. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    I do not agree an autoshift is easier to drive. I have little confidence in a computer deciding what gear I need to be in. I have better control over the whole works by knowing exactly when that gear will change.

My experience comes from a 35,000 straight fire truck in a rural area...as well as a very annoying Super-10 tranny that would jump back and forth between 9 and 10 whenever it felt like it.

5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I prefer a manual transmission, personal preference is what it comes down to. If I were to run local, Metro areas everyday I would want an auto.

As far as control, a driver has the option to select the gear in a auto shift, as far as difference in the transmission, there is none, its the same trans with air-shifters and a cpu interface. Trust a computer, you bet we all do everyday.

A driver is never going to be able to perform better and more consistent than a computer. However I still perfer a manual trans, just because I'm a old dog and don't want to be retrained.

6. solidrockguy

solidrockguy Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Is there any big difference on an autoshift vs ultrashift?

7. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    ultrashift = clutchless, similar to driving an automatic in a car
    autoshift = clutch pedal, basically a manual trans controlled by a computer

8. Alen Smith

Alen Smith Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2010
    New York City, New York

:biggrin_25514:Yes it's very true!! Manual shifting of gears can be done according to driving situation and it works better than the electronic control system.

The electronic control system works on the sensing the transmissition speed so when its a emergency breaking down the speed control is tough and rolling down of trucks takes place.

Also the auto transmission reduces the fuel eficiency, the manual gearshift increases the power transmission and engine capacity, also increases engine life.:biggrin_255:

9. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co

My '09 Mack with a MP8 445 hp and Eaton/Fuller 10 spd Autoshift, # 75 mph on the Colo. plains will average 5.7 to 5.8 mpg Denver to Goodland, Ks..

Our Frieghtshaker Columbia's with 445 hp MB4000E and Eaton/Fuller 10spd manual doing the same get about 5.2 mpg.

Twice in the last month I've run Denver to FMC/Green River, Wyo. and back, both times with one of my co-workers running tail in one of those frieghtshakers. My Mack holds 234 gal. of fuel, the freightshakers hold 230 gal. We both left Denver with full tanks, empty, returned maxed out, me at 79,800 lbs, him at 79,400 lbs (my truck is also 800 lbs heavier).

Took 185 gal. to refill my tanks, took 205 gal. to refill the freightshakers. Both trucks are goverened at 77 mph, and running 3.73 gears.

10. 71mack

71mack Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Corinth,Ms
    love'n my ultrashift!

11. truckerdaddy24

truckerdaddy24 Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Avondale Az.
    Love my Autoshift at Watkins and Shepards. TD24

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.