Mark S. @ Fine Tune CB (Hardrive)

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Evvy Thomas, Mar 24, 2016.

1. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    If the techs skill or lack thereof has nothing to do with the performance of the radio, explain Jack T Galaxy 99 talking 19 miles and Marks 99 talking 22 miles further. Same place and time

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
    Reason for edit: Last names in posts not allowed
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I forgot to mention after the experiment I had Mark redo the same radio that Jack did and performance easily doubled after Mark got done with it on the same radio that Jack originally did. Common Sense dictates poor quality work results in poor quality performance and Jack is one of the best in the country unfortunately.
    I will grant you this, your radio would have had a difficult time differentiating between the two.
    The difference between the two was only substantial with one of Mark's radio's on the receiving end.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Reason for edit: receiver sensitivity
    Cakeman and slim6596 Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I can't because I wast there and it is difficult to judge performance without looking at other factors. Antenna, location, height, weather conditions and signal conditions. All play a factor in it. There is even some ducting that can take place but to just say one tech did this better than another, you can't.

If the radio tune was the only factor involved with distance, then it would be simple to figure out but here is the problem, RF power has to abide by the laws of physics, even though there is some latitude, a tune of a radio is unlikely to make a difference with the same power coming out the ### end of it.

Again it is worth repeating that this is the 11meter band, where losses are insignificant and propagation is somewhat unpredictable.

5. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Precisely why an A/B switch was used in the comparison, to eliminate all other factors.
    same antenna
    same vehicle
    same moment in time
    same atmospheric conditions
    same model of radio
    the only variable was a different tune by 2 different techs.
    Jacks tune produced a few more watts pep with less power on the fundamental frequency.
    Marks tune produced a few less watts pep
    with more power on the fundamental frequency.
    For the record, Jack was a protégé of Russell C AB7IF, and by Marks own admission had surpassed Russells capabilities and did some of the best work he has ever seen but Jack did not have access to a spectrum analyzer.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
    Reason for edit: Last names in posts not allowed
    darthanubis Thanks this.
  6. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Concerns..My friend i dont really have any..Just hell tryin to find a good tech who can make a radio sing like a tweety bird and not a crow....Up here in eastern canada to my brain power there are none...I end up relying on boards like this to find a tech...So far the one good tech i found has moved down further south somewhere..I find a shop in carlisle that has a decient rep but discovered discrepancy in his work..Then i thought based on reviews the fella in florida has a good rep and again i see his work messing up a radio..
    So im lookin into the subject of this thread and so far contact is zero....Somehow my few questions or wording of stuff has annoied the #### outta him...My last msg to him was build me a kick ### stryker 955 and let me know when its ready..That msg was sent a few days ago..Not a word back..
    Im not one to dis the skillz of anyone till i see something..So far the subject of this thread is the place to send your gear,IF you dont piss him off with question as to what he can do..I dont know so i ask...
    Skillz or not there is only so long people will try to deal and when it comes to my $$ im not effing around just to make people happy..
    Yes i have question..
    No i dont know all the whats ands buts n so and thats why we have question..
    yes i expect a timely responce be its a thanks or f off and im giving my $$ so i have expectations..

Guess now im ranting..Sorry..I dont have all the time in the world to get stuff done so i ask and want answers..If its two months to get reply or finished work just let folks know..Its all it takes..Dont want some folks work,say it..Its like haven two drag cars sittin at the lights waitin to go but ligjt never goes green..I jjst wanna plan my stuff so i know..
    #### im ranting again..

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Rant on if you want, I am all ears.

I understand what you are getting at and is why I am here.

Think about it this way, if you were to learn how to do the work, got really good at it, would you treat possible customers like crap and be rude by not responding to them.

No one is that good that they can do this, to be exact no one is that good with these radios to make them super radios.

Whether or not you want to take what I say seriously, I can't help that but I've been doing this for a long time and know what's good and what's not. A few others seem to back me up who actually know what they are talking about (I'm the vocal one here I guess) while those who keep throwing examples to counter my posts are not working on radios so where does this lead others who want correct info?

I don't know.

8. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Focus on your antenna system and keep your radio stock and It will perform better than if most of the best techs in the country had worked on it. If you install a stock radio in a car with a Wilson 5000 magnet mount, I'm sure you will be shocked at how well it performs. Don't expect miracles from a tractor trailer.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  9. delta5

delta5 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I'm still trying to figure out how you "match" a radio to an amp. If the radio is tuned properly, with modulation set to 100% and limiter intact, it should work fine. Clean signal in, clean amplified signal out.

10. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    You assume the output of the radio does not exceed the optimum input for the amp and the biasing is a/b.
    class c amps change what goes into them and the waveform isn't the same. no such thing as plug and play with perfect waveform

How would you propose to run a Galaxy DX 98vhp into a Texas star DX 500 without blowing it up or catching something on fire? It can be done , but only if adjustments are made to the radio.
    I've seen examples where the radio had to be set at 30% modulation to avoid going beyond 100% at the output of the amp. Most of these amps are built by idiots and poorly designed as you well know, so sometimes creative engineering is necessary to achieve a desired result.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Reason for edit: example
  11. delta5

delta5 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I can see having problems if they clip the limiter or do this bs "supermod" crap. Same goes for the whack pack nonsense and the negative peak compression mod.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.