Marten OTR

Discussion in 'Marten' started by bratdriver, Nov 3, 2014.

1. bratdriver

bratdriver Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2014
    I have been with Marten almost two months. I had a friend tell me how awesome they are and how much money I can make. It has been a nightmare from day one. I went to orientation out of Tucker Ga. when orientation was over I was the only female driver and the only OTR driver. I was not assigned a truck I was rented a car to drive all the way to Indianapolis to get assigned a light fleet coffin the reeked of smoke so bad that I was sick. I was forced to drive that all the way to Mondovi WI. Where I was issued a old dirty smoky truck which I have been stuck in almost two months. I told them at this point I need to be issued a decent working truck. I was brought back to Mondovi where I was basically evicted from the crap truck and trying to force me into another coffin. They claim to pay detention after one hour but they like to deny the detention saying you didn't get a signature or you didn't give a reason. Most of their loads are sitting in dock doors for hours and hours. The company is refrigeration so the units are quite heavy they send you after loads that are very heavy . I received my first over weight ticket ever with this company. They do not have prepass and do not pay for scales unless the load is over 39,000. anyone why runs refeer knows that's easy to be over somewhere. I am already on my second dispatcher. Because the first one, I was only getting 1263 miles in 7 days and that's not going to feed my family. The new one runs me hard, so hard I only shower on my 30 min breaks and she has me sleeping at shippers and consignee's. They try to get you to run all night but I refuse and just wake up at 2am. I met quite a few drivers that tell me this is a good company and they care about their drivers. But that is not the experience I have received in the two months I have been here. I keep giving it more time and trying to be patient. I have tried to get off this OTR and maybe go regional so maybe getting out of this terminal would help. But I was not allowed a transfer. So with recent events I am left no other option but to resign as I see this is not the right fit for me. I am not sure about the person (Jeremy) I talked to today he all but evicted me out of the truck because they sold my truck out from under me, and tried to force me to except this other truck which I denied. Told me I can put my things in a storage in WI and run locals until they can get me a different truck. I live in South Carolina I have not been home since Oct 9th and it is now Nov 3. Im supposed to go home this Friday. We shall see! I do say if you come to Marten to work I advise you to keep bare minim on the truck. Cause you never know when you have to move it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    Lonesome Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. halfassdriver

halfassdriver Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Charleston, SC
  4. Inland-Pilot

Inland-Pilot Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Jackson, Ms
    Welcome to reefer freight. Hurry up and wait. Don't be late.

5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I thunk Marten used to be one of the better companies. I see that's changed.

6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Believe it or not it will get but you need to quit finding everything wrong..You've been with Marten only 2 months,thats not even close to really knowing what the company is like.You called this person a so called friend,why?That trk that reeked with smoke,nothing a few air freshners won't fix along with spray till you get back to the term and have the shop clean it for you.If you want detention then get a signature.They just need proof is all that you sat for so long.Start weighing your loads to avoid overweight tickets.First dispatch didn't run you enough miles second dispatch runs you too hard,will you make up your mind.You're not going to find a happy medium.Oct 9 thru Nov 3 isn't even a month,how often do you ecspect to be home as an otr driver?You better learn to stop complaining about every little thing,companies won't tolerate it.Be prepared to go thru the same thing with your next company.With respect your screenname fits your personality.

TheFriscoKid Thanks this.
  7. truckerguru1

truckerguru1 Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Don't take pattyj's advice to heart. She has been the forum a long time but I am not even sure that she is a truck driver. If you read her posts you will soon see that she flip flops all the time. One week she hates a company the next she is it's top cheerleader.

2Lilboots and mitrucker Thank this.
  8. bratdriver

Nov 3, 2014
    Thats cool i left that brief. But you have your openion. If im not happy and believe i deserve a little respect and less lies and disrespect. Well then thats me. Yea ill agree i have not been here long. But things are only getting worse. Not better. Im not Tina Turner., im not going to sit here and say hit me again Ike! Pattj

9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Listen to him,lol.I'm an honest person and don't sugarcoat anything.I can't help it if ppl don't like it.I tell people what its likes and going to be like in the real world because i've done it.I prepare people for what lies ahead during their career.I don't hate one specific company pursay.But trucking is trucking and they're all the same in one way or another.If you find what I say are all abunch of lies then put me on iggy.

10. truckerlife74

truckerlife74 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Charlotte nc
    I say op that 1200 mi for 7 days should be the main issue.. A nice can of febreeze sprayed through the truck will solve the smoke problem... If you have another job line up Than do what is best for you. I would go nuts with only 1200 mi in a week

11. bratdriver

Nov 3, 2014
    I did go nuts! And ferbreeze is not going to cure this. I didn't go into the mechanical issues like passenger head light always going out, cruse control work's 60% of the time, quallcomm wont come on in the am when its time to get rolling, mirrors wont adjust. Yes alot minor. But adds up! Yet regional drivers issued new trucks and they are home every weekend and a few times a week. I was told they had newer equipment. This forum is to tell our experience with these companies and yet im feeling i have to defend myself! Frankly im not happy and my faith that things will improve has faded!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.