Maverick TCD Questions

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by RCrollin75, Aug 23, 2016.

1. RCrollin75

RCrollin75 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Maryland
    Hello All...any Maverick TCD drivers out there that can answer a few questions...

1) I live in Northeastern MD close to I-95 just north of the Susquehanna River...how would my home time look with TCD?
    NOTE: This is the only division I can go to as an entry level driver with Maverick. Flatbed hiring area is outside where I live. Glass/Specialized are not for beginning drivers.

2) Are there any TCD trainers in my area?

3) Life on the road with TCD @ Maverick? (Avg weekly miles, type of equip, life in general)

I have been in the aviation industry for most of my life including 8 years active duty Air Force. Really hope to enter this side of the transportation industry with Maverick. Application has been submitted and I am waiting to hear back from my recruiter on a decision from the hiring committee. If I am approved, will head to last CDL class of the year in October!!

Any answers to the above questions will be greatly appreciated and of course any advice or other info would be cool as well.

**PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO A BASHING SESSION ON MAVERICK** I HAVE ALREADY DONE PLENTY OF RESEARCH ON MULTIPLE COMPANIES AND I HAVE READ THE NEGATIVE AS WELL AS THE POSITIVE ON ALL THE OUTFITS I HAVE CHECKED OUT. ANY JOB/COMPANY IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT AND I WOULD APPRECIATE ONLY CONSTRUCTIVE RESPONSES TO THIS POST. THANKS

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Tcd is 2 weeks out 2 days back.
    Every week out, gives u an extra day home. Typical set up for most companies.

Who told you glass is hiring only experience? When I started they allowed students

4. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    We definitely hire students for glass as well as flatbed and tcd.

5. kwtracy

kwtracy Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2016
    Ebensburg, PA
    It's my understanding that for new drivers asking for sponsored CDL school, Maverick will put them in TCD.

6. RCrollin75

RCrollin75 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Maryland
    That is what my recruiter told me.

7. SRiley77

SRiley77 Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2015
    As a TCD driver with 14 months solo time:

Home time: You get 1 day of home time for every week you stay out. Minimum is 2 weeks. The longer you stay out, you can get the better routes and better pay.

Trainers: Regardless of where you live, you aren't likely to get assigned to a trainer anywhere near where you live. Maverick pays for a hotel for students to stay in while their trainer is on home time.

Miles: Average weekly miles are between 2,000 and 2,500 per week. There was a stretch of time when it was a challenge to get 2,000 per week, but the loads have been coming a lot better since then. It all depends on who is shipping, and where you are running. Some areas of the country don't have a lot of Maverick business, so the pickings can be slim.

Equipment: 2013-2017 model year Freightliner Cascadias. Many of the '16 and just about all of the '17 trucks have refrigerators. Maverick is retiring many of their older TCD trailers, replacing them with brand new trailers (manufacture dates of March and May 2016). Equipment quality and upkeep is really dependent on the drivers. Maverick isn't shy about getting repairs completed, especially when they're needed.

8. kwtracy

kwtracy Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2016
    Ebensburg, PA
    Turns out I'm wrong. I realized during orientation that I'm not in the hiring area for TCD even though that's where they put me. Lots of the other CDL students are in flatbed, and they said they'd try to get me into glass since I'm in the hiring area and have a passport.

9. Txblackmon

Txblackmon Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2016
    You will get home about every two weeks, but you must send in a macro requesting hometime

10. Txblackmon

Txblackmon Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2016
    You will average about 2,500 miles a week.

firemedic2816 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.