Maverick trainer question

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by Thunderhorse, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Thunderhorse

Thunderhorse Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Killeen tx
    Ok so I'm in truck driving school right now and I had pretty much decided that I was going to go with Maverick until one of my instructors told me something that worries me a little bit. Apparently one of his recent students went to Maverick did the whole orientation and has now been waiting at home for like 3 weeks for a trainer to become available. So he's just sitting at home falling behind on his bills.

Everything I've heard about Maverick has been positive and they sound like a great company. This just worries me a bit because I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I'm falling into debt waiting on a trainer to become available. Does this seem pretty common for them or am I worrying to much. Any info would be appreciated.

I'm also hired for the glass division if it makes any difference.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Best of luck to you.

Thunderhorse Thanks this.
  4. toymaker

toymaker Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Missouri
    Everyone in my group got a trainer right away, or within a week, if I'm not mistaken.
    That was a couple of years ago.
    Glass and TCD might be different because they're smaller divisions, but even those guys seemed to have something lined up right away.
    Maybe that other student came along at a bad time. I know they're always asking for trianers. Mine quit training maybe a year after I got off his truck. It's not an easy job.
    They asked me if I wanted to do it, but I declined.

Thunderhorse Thanks this.
  5. Thunderhorse

Dec 10, 2015
    Killeen tx
    Yeah Maverick is still my top choice for flatbed, I need to get my passport before they will schedule me for orientation though. Was just a little concerned is all. I wonder if they could just go ahead and set me up with a trainer before I went to orientation if I told em I'll just go straight from orientation to on the road ? Can't hurt to ask j guess lol.

6. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I'm sure you get with a trainer right after class, if your going glass, u get either a flatbed trainer or glass trainer depending if they have glass trainer available. I'm in the glass side as we speak

7. Thunderhorse

Dec 10, 2015
    Killeen tx
    How you like it so far ?

8. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Good, money is good, there's a lot of deadhead but we get paid for it.

9. Thunderhorse

Dec 10, 2015
    Killeen tx
    Does deadhead get paid the same as loaded ? I'm sure it says somewhere but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

10. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Yup, get paid the same deadhead or bobtail

11. Thunderhorse

Dec 10, 2015
    Killeen tx
    Well I went and applied for my passport, and I got my cdl. All I have to do now is finish the school next week then I guess I'm good

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.